Overview: The DITA Learning and training content specialization
The DITA 1.2 learning and training content specialization specifies a set of specialized DITA topics, a learning interactions domain, a learning metadata domain, and a learning map domain to support creating and delivering structured learning content with DITA.
This figure shows the specialized topics, map domain, interactions domain, and metadata domain used by the learning and training specialization and how they relate to the DITA core types.
Figure 1 - The specialized topics, map domain, interactions domain, and metadata domain used by the learning and training specialization and how they relate to the DITA core types.
Learning topic types
A set of five specialized topic types provide the basic content ingredients for creating structured, modular learning content with DITA 1.2.
Learning Plan topic type
- Describes learning needs and goals, instructional design models, task analyses, learning taxonomies, and other information necessary to the lesson planning process.
Learning Overview topic type
- Identifies the learning objectives, includes other information helpful to the learner, such prerequisites, duration, and intended audience.
Learning Content topic type
- Provides the learning content itself, and enables direct use of content from DITA task, concept, and reference topics, as well as additional content of any topic type that supports specific objectives declared in the Learning Overview topic type.
Learning Summary topic type
- Recaps and provides context for the learning objectives and provides guidance to reinforce learning and long-term memory.
Learning Assessment topic type
- Presents instruments that measure progress, encourage retrieval, and stimulate reinforcement of the learning content, and can be presented before the content as a pre-assessment or after the content as a post-assessment checkpoint or test.
Learning map domain
The learning map domain defines a set of specialized topic references for structured learning content as learning objects and groups in a DITA map.
- A container to introduce and group learning objects into higher-level organizations, such as course-level, module-level, or lesson-level. A learningGroup can contain other learningGroup elements, allowing you to organize learning content at course, module, or other higher-levels of hierarchy.
- A container to introduce and group the topic references for a learning object.
- A topic reference to a learning plan topic.
- A topic reference to a learning overview topic, which introduces the learning object.
- A topic reference to a learning assessment topic that is used as a pre-assessment.
- One or more topic references to a learning content topic, or a topic, task, concept, reference or other specialized topic.
- A topic reference to a learning summary topic.
- A topic reference to a learning assessment topic that is used as a post-assessment.
Sample Learning DITA Map
<map> <learningGroup href="langref/lc_spec_sample_rlos.dita"> <learningObject href="langref/lc_spec_ProbUnstructuredTop.dita"> <learningOverviewRef href="langref/lc_spec_ProbUnstructuredOverview.dita"/> <learningContentRef href="langref/lc_spec_ProbWithUnstructured.dita"/> <learningPostAssessmentRef href="langref/lc_spec_ProbUnstructuredAssess.dita"/> <learningSummaryRef href="langref/lc_spec_ProbUnstructuredSummary.dita"/> </learningObject> <learningObject href="langref/lc_spec_top_beneoverview.dita"> <learningOverviewRef href="langref/lc_spec_BeneStructuredOverview.dita"/> <learningContentRef href="langref/lc_spec_BeneStructured.dita"/> <learningPostAssessmentRef href="langref/lc_spec_BeneStructuredAssess.dita"/> <learningSummaryRef href="langref/lc_spec_BeneStructuredSummary.dita"/> </learningObject> <learningObject href="langref/lc_spec_WHYDITALearnOverview_top.dita"> <learningOverviewRef href="langref/lc_spec_WHYDITALearningOverview.dita"/> <learningContentRef href="langref/lc_spec_WHYDITALearning.dita"/> <learningPostAssessmentRef href="langref/lc_spec_WHYDITALearningAssess.dita"/> <learningSummaryRef href="langref/lc_spec_WHYDITALearningSummary.dita"/> </learningObject> <learningObject href="langref/lc_spec_LearnSpec_top.dita"> <learningOverviewRef href="langref/lc_spec_LearnSpecOverview.dita"/> <learningContentRef href="langref/lc_spec_LearnSpec.dita"/> <learningPostAssessmentRef href="langref/lc_spec_LearnSpecAssess.dita"/> <learningSummaryRef href="langref/lc_spec_LearnSpecSummary.dita"/> </learningObject> </learningGroup> </map>
Learning interactions domain
The learning interactions domain defines a set of basic learning interactions elements as a DITA domain. This domain is made available in the learningAssessment topic type.
Learning metadata domain
The learning metadata domain defines a set of basic learning metadata elements as a DITA domain. In a topic, lcLom is available in the prolog/metadata. In a learning map, lcLom is available in the topicmeta. Cascading of learning metadata between topics and maps follows the rules for Metadata inheritance between maps and topics from the DITA 1.1 Architectural Specification.
- lcLom, makes the lom elements available in the learning topics