Meetings/Telecon2017.04.27

Event details

Agenda

  1. Scribe nomination
  2. Roll Call
  3. Approval of March 30 minutes and April 13 minutes

  4. Next meeting May 11, 2017

  5. Actions from the previous meeting
  6. Topics
    • TRS update
  7. Other business

Voting Rights

Held by:

Minutes

Chair

Scribe

Attendees

Regrets

Resolutions

Actions

Chat transcript from room: oslc

[07:04] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick to scribe

[07:04] Nick Crossley (IBM): List of attendees: David Honey (Persistent/IBM), Harish K (Software AG), Jad El-khoury (KTH), Jim Amsden (IBM), Martin Sarabura (PTC), Nick Crossley (IBM), anonymous

[07:04] Martin Sarabura (PTC): Bill Chown joining....

[07:05] Martin Sarabura (PTC): https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2017.03.30

[07:05] Nick Crossley (IBM): https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2017.04.13

[07:06] Martin Sarabura (PTC): Ian Green to be added to attendee list

[07:06] Nick Crossley (IBM): Both accepted

[07:07] Nick Crossley (IBM): Next meeting May 11th

[07:09] Nick Crossley (IBM): Action item: Martin to write up formal proposal, to be voted on next meeting (on the quality/nature/contents of acceptable Statements of Use) [07:10] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim says: 1. OSLC 3 Core is compatible OSCL 2 Core

[07:10] Nick Crossley (IBM): 2. OSLC Core 3 doesn't add anything substantial that's new other than attachments

[07:11] Nick Crossley (IBM): 3. Core 3 provides optional ways to access OSLC capabilities through LDP mechanisms such as link headers, containers, etc.

[07:11] Nick Crossley (IBM): 4. There are many existing OSLC 2 clients and servers in the marketplace

[07:12] Nick Crossley (IBM): 4. There are many existing successful OSLC 2 clients and servers in the marketplace

[07:12] Nick Crossley (IBM): That is, they support the intended tools and integrations

[07:12] Nick Crossley (IBM): The demand for access to these capabilities through LDP is currently low

[07:12] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin asked if that was really a chicken and egg situation

[07:14] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: market uptake on RDF and SPARQL, and then on LDP, has been less than expected - and now may have been overtaken by NoSQL, graph databases, etc.

[07:15] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: because of all this, and because of the additional slowdown caused by the move from open-services.net to OASIS, the TC should consider OSLC 2 SoU to be acceptable as OSLC 3 SoUs

[07:16] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin wondered if other standards efforts had been in similar situations.

[07:20] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick: any Core 2.0 SoU is already a valid SoU of at least parts of Core 3.0, so I think Jim's proposal is a statement of life as is it anyway.

[07:21] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick & Martin agreed it is a question of risk and coverage - we'd like to get at least some coverage of newer features in the SoUs to reduce the risk that there are defects in those newer parts of the standard.

[07:22] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: a complete reference implementation would eliminate that risk.

[07:23] Bill Chown (Mentor Graphics)4: having very odd connection problems today - apologies for the multiple entries!

[07:26] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: we have the existing 3.0 reference implementation. Jim thinks it would not take too much work to get this into shape to validate the newer LDP aspects of the standard.

[07:27] Nick Crossley (IBM): The combination of existing 2.0 SoU plus the new 3.0 reference implementation would cover both older and newer stuff.

[07:29] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin: do we have anyone willing to do that work on the 3.0 reference implementation?

[07:30] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jad: would need to be able to make an academic project out of it, and would need some of Jad's time to supervise. Could possibly be a summer task.

[07:30] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: might be a task for an IBM summer co-op.

[07:31] Nick Crossley (IBM): Do we have any contacts to suggest this as a Google Summer of Code exercise?

[07:33] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin: action items: Jim to ask for a summer co-op.

[07:34] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin: action item for Jad to look for summer student effort.

[07:35] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin: all other TC members to look for possible resources for this - look at existing OSLC 3.0 reference implementation on Lyo, and ensure it is compatible with revised Core 3.0.

[07:36] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: 3.0 reference implementation is much more simple code than 2.0.

[07:36] Nick Crossley (IBM): It's currently called a sample, not a reference implementation.

[07:36] Nick Crossley (IBM): Martin: let's revisit this in 2 weeks.

[07:39] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: what we want to do is agree as a TC what is the acceptable level of risk and coverage in the SoU, and to have that written down.

[07:39] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: we'll want that documented so we can describe the criteria to the Steering Committee to get their approval of the standard.

[07:41] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: acton item to move the OSLC 3.0 sample/reference implementation from Eclipse to Github - it's stand-alone, makes it more accessible, and the dev process easier

[07:41] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick: I second that

[07:41] Nick Crossley (IBM): Not on mute

[07:42] Nick Crossley (IBM): Don't know why you can't heat

[07:42] Nick Crossley (IBM): hear

[07:44] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim will send a note about this to the OSLC Community

[07:44] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: about publishing files to open-services.net: has all the info, but not yet done. Another action item to revisit in 2 weeks.

[07:45] Nick Crossley (IBM): On TRS: Nick has the pen, but has not yet been able to do any work on it. Will send out a note when done.

[07:46] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick: I'll be out from May 1-10, so no progress will be made till then.

[07:47] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick: Updates to template spec for domains TC is in the same state - that is, no progress.

[07:48] Nick Crossley (IBM): Jim: Meanwhile, Mark Schulte has edited an Architecture Management draft.

[07:49] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick also wants (needs?) to get some ReSpec enhancements done before we have to publish a whole batch of Domains TC specs

[07:50] Nick Crossley (IBM): Nick: improving (or rewriting!) ReSpec would also be a good summer task for a student or intern

[07:51] Nick Crossley (IBM): No other business

[07:51] Nick Crossley (IBM): Meeting adjourned

Meetings/Telecon2017.04.27 (last edited 2017-05-11 12:48:13 by sarabura)