June 18, 2014 Meeting Minutes
- Bob G. did roll call, we have quorum. This will be an official meeting.
1 Opening remarks (co-chairs)
2 Roll call
3 Review / approval of the agenda
4 Review of previous meeting minutes
5 Old Business
- Status of V2.40 second public review
- Statements of Use
- v3.0 topics
- How to get new mechanisms out faster than v3.0 (AES-XTS, possibly others)
- Topics for next call
6 New Business
7 Review Action Items
- PKCS11 padded strings vs NULL terminated (Valerie)
Motion to accept agenda
- Tim moves to accept the agenda, Chris Z seconds. No objections or abstentions or discussions. Approved.
Approve Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes up for approval: June 04, 2014
- Tim moves to accept the Minutes, Chris seconds. No objections or abstentions or discussions. Approved.
Status on 2.40 second review
- We will have to do a second public review since we decided to pull out AES-XTS. Chris posted a revised draft last week.
- There is another comment about duplication of mechanisms in the document. Bob G asked Chris to take a look and see if it makes sense to clean it up, or send questions tot the group to see what we should do if it's not clear. That way we can make a decision on what to do, and possibly have a document to vote on the the next time we meet. That call is on the 2nd of July.
- Statements of Use
- It would be great to have these in 2 weeks so we can take a look at them and make sure we're all in sync
- We will have to have these before the standard can be final.
- Bob G: I have not been able to make progress on a document on how to move new mechanisms forward.
Moving forward with v3.0
- Bob G: did not get through all of the v3.0 items. Hope to finish this by Friday, been sorting through things that he believes are done. There are a number of things on the wiki that I think can be closed out. I will include those in the list.
- PKCS11 padded strings vs NULL terminated (Valerie) - why?
- Tim: This was for people that were working in a Pascal environment
- John (?) : it's always been that way, but don't know why.
- Oscar: my idea is to allocate one more byte to the end of all strings and set that byte to NULL
- Stef: There is a SPEC/RFC called PKCS#11 URIs. we don't use those extra spaces, adding one more null byte to the end won't help much. It would be better to just NULL terminate the real string
- Tim: In 3.0 move away from the length limitation
- Wan-Teh: Oscar's proposal will require changing the definition of several structures
- Bob G: we could consider looking at how we handled structured definitions in 3.0. Valerie would you want to drive this one? Or Oscar or Wan-Teh?
- Valerie: Am interested, but not interested in driving it if there are other volunteers
- Wan-Teh: I can work with Oscar on this, but my proposal would be just standard C strings. No padding, just NULL terminated.
- Bob G: I'll put the three of you down for the moment, along with the rest of the things for 3.0
- Wan-Teh: One of the things suggested was to addto message-based encryption. I thought this would be straight forward, so I waited until this morning to start. But this doesn't work well with functions with signature verification. HOpe to have a proposal next Monday or Tuesday
- Bob G: can we discuss this in our next meeting?
- Wan-Teh: Yes
- Bob G: I think that's what's outstanding, sorry I don't have the complete list. If you have additional items, it might be better for our next call. Stef, any update on forking?
- Stef: No, haven't had a chance to dig in. I also need to complete AI for introspection
- Bob G: I'll send that around by the end of the week. ANy other issues around 3.0 folks want to raise? Any other topics for today's call? Next time: Wan-Teh's proposal, version 3 list, mechanism process from me and looking at SOUs and looking at the hopefully revised document and iniatiating the next public review.
- Tim: are you going to sort out secretary roll?
- Bob G: Valerie and I have talked about this. We talked to Tony Cox to see if he could do minutes, even though it wouldn't be the full secretary roll. He is out for the next couple of meetings, we will give it a try. On behalf of both the co-chairs, our thanks goes out to Tony. If anyone else is interested in full roll, including things like taking attendance and creating ballots, do let us know. Great thanks to Tony for helping out, and shouldering this burden going forward.
Topics for Next Call
- Valerie: create 3.0 suggestion document, move 2.40 suggestions over into new 3.0 suggestion document. (not started, yet) (09042014.01)
- Bob: will make a first pass by going through meeting minutes. I will send to Valerie, who can clean it up and post to the wiki.(09042014.02)
- Valerie (et al): add new suggestions to the 3.0 wiki, so we can track if they have owners and are moving forward. (09042014.03)
- Bob G: how about I take time to write up a couple of paragraphs on how to get out a new mechanism to take to the team by the next meeting? (04062014.01)
Motion to Adjourn
- Tim moved, Stef seconded. No objections or abstentions or discussions. Adjourned 1:21PM US-PT.