July 30, 2014 Meeting Minutes
- Bob performed roll call, we have quorum. This will be an official meeting.
1 Opening remarks (co-chairs)
2 Roll call
3 Review / approval of the agenda
4 Review of previous meeting minutes
5 Old Business
- Status of V2.40 second public review
- Statements of Use
- v3.0 topics
- How to get new mechanisms out faster than v3.0 (AES-XTS, possibly others)
- Topics for next call
6 New Business
7 Review Action Items
Motion to accept agenda
- Tim moved, Bob R seconded. No objections or abstentions or discussions.
Approve Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes up for approval: 17 July 2014
- Tim moved, Chris seconded. No objections or abstentions or discussions.
- Bob G indicated that the unofficial meeting (no quorum) minutes for 2 July are posted.
Status on 2.40 third review
Bob G: Bob & Valerie have started work on requesting the 2.40 review. Chet has asked that a change be made to the base spec to correct normative reference to a draft document. Bob will make that amendment to move it forward.
- Bob G: The document history is a little sparse in referencing other doc/versions. If no-one objects, we'll just keep the brief document history for this version. No objections - Bob G will submit the documents and expects to see the public review to start sometime next week. We may have to wait until the meeting after next to vote to promote the document to OASIS Candidate Specification and require the Statements of Use.
- Sven: What are the the next steps after the OASIS Candidate Spec? Are there any plans for market statements, how are we promoting this top the community so implementers/consumers can follow the releases?
- Bob G: Once the specification is approved by OASIS, there is typically a press release which usually attracts blogs and analysts coverage etc. Expect this to take s similar course. Expect sometime in September, we dedicate a meeting to planning actions to broadcast this. We also need to plan the activities to make the effort including the 2.40 release and future releases more visible.
- Valerie: I have a talk accepted at the international Cryptographic Module Conference and I will be covering PKCS#11. If anyone has anything they'd like me to cover - let me know.
- Sven: There is a smartcard conference on in September and asked if there's something he can present there. Bob G: That would be great
- Bob G will post some documents to the repository to be used for presentation materials.
How to get new mechanisms out faster than v3.0 (AES-XTS, possibly others)/minor releases
- Bob G: Tim, can you please bring us up to speed on last meeting's conversation?
- Tim: We have a list of otems that didn't make it into 2.40 that don't require the structural changes required for 3.0. Example is having an attribute that represents a unique identifier for a given object. We've spoken about a release prior to the next major version and minor things like attributes would be good for that.
- Bob: Valerie, do you have a list of items that we can review for this? Wan-Teh has some items we can use like padding etc
- Valerie: We should look at the list of ideas/suggestions we already have on record and sort them into things we can look at to see if we have items suitable for a minor release.
- Bob G: I start a version of that list and forward it to Valerie
- Valerie to work it through and put it on the wiki
- Bob G: that should be up for folks to review for next weeks call
Statements of Use
- Bob R is still waiting for feedback from his legal folks
- Bob G: Wan-Teh, how are you progressing?
- Wan-Teh: has been very busy and hasn't got to it yet. Intend to publish a draft in about 4 weeks.
- Bob G: Jeffrey from Feitian has posted a SoU so folks should have a look at that (no need for formal review yet)
Moving forward with v3.0
Topics for Next Call
- Valerie: create 3.0 suggestion document, move 2.40 suggestions over into new 3.0 suggestion document. (not started, yet) (09042014.01)
- Bob: will make a first pass by going through meeting minutes. I will send to Valerie, who can clean it up and post to the wiki.(09042014.02)
- Valerie (et al): add new suggestions to the 3.0 wiki, so we can track if they have owners and are moving forward. (09042014.03)
- Bob G: how about I take time to write up a couple of paragraphs on how to get out a new mechanism to take to the team by the next meeting? (04062014.01)
- Tim H: send suggestions on how to handle minor updates prior to v3.0 to the list (16072014.01)
Motion to Adjourn
- Tim moved, Chris seconded. No objections or abstentions or discussions. Adjourned 1:26PM US-PDT.