NOTE: This wiki is provided by the OASIS standards consortium as a collaborative tool for members of the OASIS ebXML Registry Technical Committee, who are permited to post to these pages. As this is an official workspace of the TC, the OASIS IPR Policy and other OASIS rules apply to its use. To learn more about the work of the TC, send a comment, or join this effort, visit the OASIS ebXML Registry TC homepage.
Wiki pages are transient documents, so intermediate edits may not be saved. TC members should move all permanent work and stable artifacts to the TC's document repository, where the archival work product of the TC also can be viewed by the public.
ebXML RegRep Wiki
This is the official wiki of the OASIS ebXML Registry Technical Committee.
Overview and Key Benefits
OASIS ebXML RegRep is an open specification approved as an OASIS Standard for metadata and content management software. It is capable of managing diverse content such as documents, images, services, devices, assets, schemas, WSDL, ontologies, records. Previous versions of the specification have been approved by OASIS as well as ISO. The latest release is Version 4.0 and the latest ebXML RegRep Core specification is available here.
Some of the key benefits of ebXML RegRep are :
- Improves data quality, integrity by serving as a authoritative source of metadata and enforcing validation rules
- Improves data discovery and reuse using standard and custom queries, query functions and automatic cataloging
- Improves data availability and scalability through synchronized replication and federation of data
- Securely shares data within and across organizational boundaries using secure federated queries
- Enforces governance policies defined by Community of Practice throughout the end-to-end lifecycle of data using features such as versioning, subscription and change notification and BPMN process descriptions
For a summary of changes in version 4 since version 3 please see this wiki page.
Extension Profiles of ebXML RegRep
The ebXML RegRep specification is designed for extensibility and several extension profile specifications are already published for version 4.0:
The following are extension profiles that are being considered for future work:
Relationship to Other Specifications
OASIS ebXML RegRep 4 specifications are newer versions of the following specifications that have previously been approved as ISO Standards by ISO/TC 154:
- ISO/TS 15000-3:2004 -- Electronic business eXtensible Markup Language (ebXML) -- Part 3: Registry information model specification (ebRIM)
- ISO/TS 15000-4:2004 -- Electronic business eXtensible Markup Language (ebXML) -- Part 4: Registry services specification (ebRS)
OASIS ebXML RegRep 4 specifications are complimentary to the following ISO specifications:
- ISO/IEC 11179, Information Technology -- Metadata registries (MDR), defines an abstract metadata registry standard.
- ISO/IEC 19763, Information Technology -- Metamodel Framework for Interoperability (MFI), defines additional abstract models for registration of services, processes, roles, goals etc.
OASIS ebXML RegRep 4 provides a concrete registry and repository standard capable of registering all types of artifacts. ebXML RegRep TC has collaborated with the respective working groups for ISO/IEC 11179 and ISO/IEC 19763 during the development of our respective specifications. Extension profiles of OASIS ebXML RegRep 4 may be defined in future to provide a concrete binding for ISO/IEC 11179 and ISO/IEC 19763.
The ebXML RegRep specification compliments OASIS CAP by providing a federated information management solution for metadata and content that can be used to connect-the-dots between critical information sources
The ebXML RegRep specification is being used in Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) specifications
The following is a partial list of ebXML RegRep 3 specification and its extension profiles:
US Department of Defense (DoD) Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), in full deployment. For details see Dod Metadata Registry.
US National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST) Public IHE/XDS Registry, domain is electronic medical records. It is in full deployment and being used by more than 40 companies world wide. For details see project page.
United Nations, CEFACT ICG Registry, in full deployment. For details see here
Statistical Data and Metadata Exchange (SDMX) Registry, in full deployment managing debt statistics for the IMF and World Bank. For details see here.
- OASIS ebXML Registry 3.0 Webinar June 2007 Slides
Blogs and Articles
Notes on Wiki use for OASIS TC Members
Edit any page by pressing Edit at the top or the bottom of the page
Create a link to another page with joined capitalized words (like WikiSandBox) or with ["quoted words in brackets"]
Check RecentChanges to see the most recent additions.
Try SiteNavigation for an overview over this site and what it contains.
Try FindPage to search or browse the wiki in various ways.
Use SyntaxReference for quick access to wiki syntax.
Use WikiSandBox to experiment with editing.
Anyone, not just TC members or OASIS members, may may search for page titles or text within pages using the search box at the top of any page.
Kathryn Breininger, Boeing
Oliver Newell, MIT Lincoln Labs
Nikola Stojanovic, Individual