Minutes F2F meeting 28, 29, 30 July 2010

Meeting opened 9am EDT 38th July 2010

Topic: Agenda

Draft posted to tab-internal:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab-internal/201007/msg00002.html

Additional items added to the agenda:

Approved agenda with changes above.

Topic: Introductions

Roll: Martin, Mary, Patrick (by phone), Jacques, Kim (Observer)

Topic: Minutes:

Minutes 9th July

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab-internal/email/archives/201007/msg00003.html Approved w/o Agreed to post to wiki

ACTION-20100728-0: Chair to revamp TAB pages and wiki to reflect 2010/2011 focus.

Actions:

Action-20100430-0: Martin to investigate the current SCA test report template.

Done. SCA does not have one at the moment. We can work on a proto-template of a test report and work with SCA TCs to refine

Topic: Review Draft Board Report

Presenting to the Board Thursday just after lunch.

Draft at: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab-internal/email/archives/201007/ppt00000.ppt

Change 30 public reviews allocated to say announced, since some announcements contain more than one spec to review.

Suggestion to simplify slides.

Discussed the communication issue between TAB-Board-Staff, suggest a tri-party mailing list is set up, so that Board/Staff can see all tab recommendations and responses to such.

Discussed the lack of weight behind TAB comments to Public Reviews. Suggestions include having the TAB as a voting member for OASIS standards ballots, and TC-admin not letting a spec progress unless the TAB is satisfied with the responses. These are just ideas, and we will set up a brainstorming with staff and Board reps to discuss TAB's role and improving its profile in general.

ACTION-20100728-1: Chair to organise a brainstorming of role of TAB with Staff and Board.

Updated slides sent to Board: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201007/msg00021.html

Topic: Citation and OASIS Dependency work

Patrick has drafted two collections of citations. They are now in the work products folder:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/38815/Standards-Cited-by-OASIS-Standards_ver.01.txt http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/38816/Standards-Cited-by-OASIS-Standards-Odd-Citations_ver.01.txt

If the Board asks, it shows we have made serious progress, perhaps more than has happened before on this issue.

Patrick: correct citation for RFC 2119: Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

Patrick: one example is rfc2119 citation which are all wrong according to ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-ref.txt including in the template.

Patrick: If a url is added, it should probably go in parenthesis after the correct citation e.g. Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997. (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt)

Next step is to create the topic map and to update the Wiki into some guidelines.

Good question to discuss is whether OASIS should maintain the equivalent of the above IEFT ftp list of correct citations.

Should OASIS maintain and insist on a consistent abbreviation and reference for each standard? We agreed that it would be a good idea to have each document define on its cover page the abbreviation to be used when referencing from other oasis documents. Agreed that citation acronym for a each standard needs some rules and that the templates should include a field to define the citation abbreviation.

Topic: New TC Process

New TC process and IPR Policy have been approved, effective October 15th 2010. Reposted to TAB list: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201007/msg00022.html

It now has two tracks: standards track and non-standards track. Up till now the TC process only ever talked about developing specifications and had no official way to approve non spec material such as presentations and white papers.

The Board wants an FAQ about the new process and to help guide TCs into deciding which track a document should go in.

The naming guidelines need to be changed to reflect the new acronyms and process progression.

What other material is required to help chairs and editors? New templates and template updates.

We need to come up with a new name for Naming guidelines, since they are rules. Patrick suggests: Rules for Naming, References and Structure of OASIS Standards (as the general bucket). Will discuss naming on Friday morning.

The Board Process SC will be formulating questions; TC Admin and TAB will prepare answers.

ACTION-20100728-2: TAB Members to think of some questions that Chairs might need answering wrt to the new TC Process.

ACTION-20100728-3: Mary to put together a project plan for rollout of the new TC process and all the tasks that are required.

Topic: Conformance interop/portability testing policy

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/tab/TestingPolicy

We discussed Jacques latest draft. Unfortunately the minute taker didn't record much of the discussion! We went through Martin's comments. Jacques will take them on board and revise.

We agreed to de-emphasise reference implementations, since Mary says that these have been out of scope within OASIS to date and might be misleading.

ACTION-20100729-0: Jacques to update testing policy to reflect Martin's comments and other comments during F2F discussion.

Martin will draft a new section about the impact of testing on the TC Process (e.g. charters to consider whether testing is in scope, providing test reports with statements of use etc.)

ACTION-20100729-1: Martin to draft a section for the testing policy to suggest ways in which the TC Process may be impacted.

We need to decide where to send for Review once TAB have agreed.

Topic: Joint meeting with Board

Slides presented by Martin (link above). They agreed that a TAB-Board-Staff list be set up.

ACTION-20100729-2: Mary to get a TAB-Board-Staff list setup (name to be determined).

Discussion focussed on role of TAB and improving visibility to ensure long term viability of the TAB. Agreed to a brainstorming session with at least the Board Rep involved (Dave Ings). See ACTION-20100728-1

Topic: Chair election, and TAB representatives for 2010/2011, and admin

From this point in time the TAB Internal and TAB External lists are closed, just use the main TAB list.

ACTION-20100729-3 Mary: close the tab-external, tab-internal lists and to update the members of the tab list to current tab members.

Mary assumes Chair of the meeting in order to conduct elections.

Mary calls for nomination for the TAB Chair for 2010/2011

Patrick nominates Martin to be chair. Martin accepts nomination. No other nominations. No objections. Martin elected as chair.

Martin resumes chair.

Discussion of TAB Liaison to Board Process SC. Short term there is a tidy up of the TC process. Mary noted that maintenance and errata process will be under scrutiny and revision. Martin calls for nominations to Board Process SC.

Jacques nominates himself Martin nominates himself Patrick nominates himself

After discussion and a break to navel gaze, Patrick withdraws nomination We agreed to request all three to be added to the Board Process SC list, regardless of formal liaison.

ACTION-20100729-4: Mary to request addition of Jacques and Patrick to the Board Process SC list.

Jacques motions that Martin and Jacques be the TAB liaisons to the board process sc 2nd Patrick Motion passes w/o

ACTION-20100729-5: Chair to inform Board Process SC chair of the TAB liaison appointments

It was noted that close coordination is required on the Board Process SC calls to avoid conflicting TAB opinions.

TAB Meetings. We agreed to keep the same time as last year's tab-internal meetings: fri 11am edt (8am pdt, 4pm Irish time). Next meeting is 13 August 2010

Topic: Mojave/Kavi migration

Patrick asks what the TAB involvement in this will be going forward. TAB should be kept in the loop in order to provide advice on the planned migration. Our role should be similar to that of the Mojave project, although the parameters are a bit different.

Patrick: The Board needs to direct staff to automatically share information about all technical issues, migrations, equipment, etc. with the TAB. We are advisers of the Board, and they may or may not take our advice. But, as advisers, we should always have the latest information on technical issues so we can fulfill our obligation to provide the Board with advice.

Martin notes that the new TAB-Board-Staff list will aid in our communication of advice, and responses to such advice.

There needs to be a requirements process, but it does not have to be the "start from scratch top down" approach ala mojave. However customization options and requests are still a form of requirement and need to be documented, prioritized and reviewed. We also need to make sure that QA and testing is adequately provisioned for, as well as details for hosting, performance, scalability etc.

We need to ask staff what is the plan and process in place for the migartion and who is managing it. We agreed that an OASIS PM is essential to managing KAVI and an external team.

ACTION-20100729-6: Chair to request Staff to provide TAB with KAVI-5 project plan and process description.

Topic: Goals for 2010/2011

The new process change will necessitate a revision of a many of the associated policies. we agreed that one of the goals of the year is to collect all of the technical committee and member section policies and rules, and create a coherent and navigable information set. As a secondary goal to come up identify areas of improvements, inconsistencies and gaps.

Complete the testing policy and incorporate into policies as appropriate. Complete the standards dependency work and incorporate into policies as appropriate.

Topic: Update of naming guidelines

Discussed the need to overhaul the naming guidelines to reflect the new process and to be easier to act as a reference when looking up the rules.

Current docs: http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNaming.html http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/metadata.html

After a brainstorming of the current guidelines and pain points within TCs we agreed on the following principles:

  1. TCs only ever edit working drafts
  2. working drafts never contain an official cover page
  3. TC admin adds the official cover page after the tc has approved a wd as a CND/CSD and submitted to TC Admin for publishing to docs.oasis-open.org.
  4. every wd has a unique filename, and MUST have the format of <document>-wd<integer>

    • <document> should include a version identifier

  5. all filenames MUST use the defined set of permitted characters
  6. TC admin MUST use the <document> name provided by the TC when creating the CND/CSD, CS/CN, OS, OS filenames

  7. the citation abbreviation for a document should be the same as its <document>

  8. All CND/CSD, CS/CN, COS, MUST have unique filenames of the format <document>-<stage><integer>, an OS name must be unique with a format <document>-OS. Uniqueness is across all TCs

  9. TC Admin enforces uniqueness of <document> names within Oasis at publishing time to docs

  10. TC admin will maintain all namespace documents (rddl)
  11. urn namespaces are deprecated
  12. if there is only a single artifact of a given type (scheme, wsdl) associated with a document it should use the same <document> identifier within its filename

  13. Any associated artifacts of a document that contain file references (e.g. schemas with imports) must be packaged in such a way that the references are relative to the package. The package name follows the <document> conventions.

  14. if a package contains schemas, the <document> name of that package IS the name of the namespace 15.the TC arrives at the <document> name of a schema package following its own namespace revision policy

  15. updates to references between schemas in different TCs should permitted under DCR rules.

ACTION-20100730-0: TAB members review existing material on naming and propose additions to the list of naming principles agreed at the F2f.

We still need a name for the revised rules, but we agreed to get the rules down first before embarking on a labelling discussion.

Topic: AOB

Special thanks and appreciation to Patrick for attending by phone.

Meeting closed 2pm EDT 30th July 2010

Summary of Action Items:


ACTION-20100728-0: Chair to revamp TAB pages and wiki to reflect 2010/2011 focus.

ACTION-20100728-1: Chair to organise a brainstorming of role of TAB with Staff and Board.

ACTION-20100728-2: TAB Members to think of some questions that Chairs might need answering wrt to the new TC Process.

ACTION-20100728-3: Mary to put together a project plan for rollout of the new TC process and all the tasks that are required.

ACTION-20100729-0: Jacques to update testing policy to reflect Martin's comments and other comments during F2F discussion.

ACTION-20100729-1: Martin to draft a section for the testing policy to suggest ways in which the TC Process may be impacted.

ACTION-20100729-2: Mary to get a TAB-Board-Staff list setup (name to be determined).

ACTION-20100729-3 Mary: close the tab-external, tab-internal lists and to update the members of the tab list to current tab members.

ACTION-20100729-4: Mary to request addition of Jacques and Patrick to the Board Process SC list.

ACTION-20100729-5: Chair to inform Board Process SC chair of the TAB liaison appointments.

ACTION-20100729-6: Chair to request Staff to provide TAB with KAVI-5 project plan and process description.

ACTION-20100730-0: TAB members review existing material on naming and propose additions to the list of naming principles agreed at the F2f.

20100728 (last edited 2010-08-13 16:40:50 by martin.chapman)