==============================================================
Minutes TAB F2F Day 1 (Tuesday July 30, 2013)
==============================================================


Info

Location: OASIS headquarters, Burlington.

Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda

1. General annual TAB activity report (including spec / charter public reviews we did)

2. Public Review checklist + Editors manual
(see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201304/msg00001.html )

3. Overhaul of conformance guidelines:

- TC Process changes for use of RFC2119 may get adopted this meeting --> updates to guideline (?)
(see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/board-process/email/archives/201307/msg00077.html )

- Conformance to non-machine implementable specs, e.g. TGF (i.e. non-computerized processes, ref models...)
(see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201306/msg00026.html )

4. Appeals procedure ( https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201306/msg00027.html )

5. Motion Language
(see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201305/msg00044.html )

6. Possible topics / directions for coming year.


Roll:

Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Jun Qian (Primeton)
Chet Ensign (staff)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)

Observer:
Robin (staff)


Action Items:

AI-1: Patrick to find comment-tracking tool, for document reviews.
AI-2: Chet: check JIRA output spreadsheet capability, can it be configured.
AI-3: Patrick to update Keyword directives
AI-4: Chet: propose rewording of Policy statements for keywords on spec templates.
AI-5: Ashok to investigate 3rd party documentation tracking
AI-6: Jacques: open a JIRA entry to manage Conformance Guidelines and related issues (some identified here)


Minutes: (based on revised agenda)

NOTE: Jacques acting as temp chair (chair Martin not available).

1. General annual TAB activity report (including spec / charter public reviews we did)
- prepared / reviewed annual report slides.
- see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/document.php?document_id=50128
- MOTION (Chet): to approve TAB Board Report july F2F-2013e.ppt as TAB report to the Board, 2ND:Ashok. UNAN.
- only 2 public reviews. Need to address the bandwidth issue and 20-day short window (e.g. partial, checklist-driven reviews?)

2. Keywords Guidelines:

- Board declined to approve (keywords guidelines) as part of TC process.
- RFC2119 in the template, but can be override by TC (ODF, TAG...)
- review of draft: simplified table of keywords + non-normative synonyms.
Need an FAQ to address most common usage issues.
- almost complete, to be progressed as a TAB guidelines.
- Patrick to iterate on it.

3. Editors guidelines
- Chet to iterate with Paul on it.
- jacques: the scope is too ambitious? should separate (a) editorial guidance on work products, (b) standardization process of the WP,
- focus on (a), as (b) already described elsewhere.
- useful links:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/
spreadsheet / flowchart -> https://www.oasis-open.org/sites/www.oasis-open.org/files/TC-Process-gantt-chart.xls

4. Public Review checklist
(see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201304/msg00001.html )
- latest staff version currently in use.
- should be communicated to TC Editors for guidance and preview of what will be checked.
- Chet: can be used to clearly communicate which editorial items are critical to the process and can block a spec.

5. Overhaul of conformance guidelines:
- postponed for Wed. Need updates for:
(a) adjust to latest keyword directives (might include keyword guidelines content?)
(b) improvement items, e.g. more examples, FAQ
(c) extensions to handle non-machine implementable specs,

6. Appeals procedure ( https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201306/msg00027.html )
- appears complete.

7. Motion Language
(see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201305/msg00044.html )
- appears complete.

8. Other topics / possible directions for coming year.
- use tools to track TAB work, e.g. TAB JIRA: https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB
this seems to need same tooling as for tracking spec reviews?
- TAB needs a better monitoring/accounting of its annual work.
- Need to inquire about past board request to TAB for helping on Specification quality ?
- still some room for improving the perception of OASIS users about the distinction:
(a) Policies (absolute but often high-level requirements, per TC process and other board-approved docs.
(b) TC process Rules (enforced by TC admin / staff, implementations of (a))
(c) Best practices & guidelines (advisory)
- Jun Qian: in order to help language barrier, need more written material. Rely more on async communication,
more eBallot for decisions. The timezone is less of a problem, can keep same time.

==============================================================
Minutes TAB F2F Day 2 (Wednesday July 31, 2013)
==============================================================


Info

Location: OASIS headquarters, Burlington.

Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda

1. Administration [9:30 - 10:30am]
- chair election
- review agenda for day
- accommodating Asian timezone: new meeting time? More "written" and async interactions and discussion threads, eBallots?
- on-line tracking of TAB work status.

2. Normative Keywords guidelines follow-up [10:30 - 11:15]
- latest update from Patrick + answering most common questions.

--- break [11:15 - 11:30]

3. Better Tracking of Spec Reviews & Comments [11:30 - 12:15]
(see last slide of TAB report)

4. TAB-Board joint meeting (report to Board, etc.), followed by break [2:00pm-3:00pm]

5. Follow-up on joint meeting feedback, TAB mission. [3:00pm-3:30pm]

6. Conformance Guidelines update: [3:30pm-5:00pm]
- walk-through of current guidelines, and comments
- impact of new keywords guidelines.
- conformance of non-machine-processable specifications

7. Plans and wrap-up [5:00pm-5:30pm]
- projected timeline for work in progress, action items.
- next meetings,
- other?


Roll:

Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Jun Qian (Primeton)
Chet Ensign (staff)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)

Observer:
Robin (staff)


Action Items:

AI-1: Patrick to find comment-tracking tool, for document reviews.
AI-2: Chet: check JIRA output spreadsheet capability, can it be configured.
AI-3: Patrick to update Keyword directives
AI-4: Chet: propose rewording of Policy statements for keywords on spec templates.
AI-5: Ashok to investigate 3rd party documentation tracking
AI-6: Jacques: open a JIRA entry to manage Conformance Guidelines and related issues (some identified here)


Minutes:

1. Administration [9:30 - 10:30am]
- chair election:
MOTION: (Chet) to nominate Jacques as chair. Seconded by Ashok. UNAN. Jacques is elected TAB chair for this year.
- we do not see any need for other officers at this time. Chair will do secretarial duties as needed.
Taking minutes: chair may ask for an "minute assistant" to complement notes in chat during meeting.
- on-line tracking of TAB work status: TAB JIRA: Jun and Ashok needed be registered.

2. Normative Keywords guidelines follow-up [10:30 - 11:15]
- latest update from Patrick + answering most common questions.
- Chet: let the TC advertise the way they will use keywords (e.g. uppercase = keyword, lowercase = plain English)
- Chet: the spec template can state the preferred keyword policy, yet make it clear it can be overridden
- Keywords directives doc to be ammended (lines 75-79) to reflect template policy.
- Chet Ensign (OASIS): We could amend it to read as follows: "The key words MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL in this document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119]. Upper casing of key words is RECOMMENDED, however in accordance with RFC2119, equivalents of the key words have identical meaning.
[Note: if the TC wishes to use alternative keywords, please contact TC Administration to discuss.]" "RFC 2119 or ISO keywords SHALL NOT be used in the same documents. "

are ISO keywords. But if these are used, they will not have any normative meaning."
- Patrick: non-normative alternatives: can - annex h alternatives - be able to, there is a possibility of, it is possible to.
- "Normative Portion" defined in the abstract but not identified as a "Portion" in the instance is of limited value

3. Better Tracking of Spec Reviews & Comments [11:30 - 12:15]
(see last slide of TAB report)
intent:

(1) during the comment period: give more, early visibility to comments
(2) encourage early filing of comments, to avoid overlaps and repeats
(3) follow-up: to better track responses to comments and link back to the right comment
(4) comments on comments (threads)
(5) comment but not "edit" the target document
(6) comment disposition? support for this.

- Patrick: better tool exist to track comment. Also, TAB to track its tasks. can attach comments by section of a doc.
- AI: Patrick to find ref to such tool.
- (comments tracking
- need to feed the disposition document from the comments without re-keying.
- Patrick: stylesheet kind of processing.
- Chet: JIRA training useful. JIRA can output a spreadsheet --> can feed comment disposition
- Patrick: need to support a collaborative editing of comments on a doc.
- Chet: JIRA upgrade to 5, 6 needed.
- Chet: can define a "view" on JIRA output spreadsheet. Need to experiment. Goal is to have a usable output for disposition of comments.
- Chet: leveraging TOC in a spec for indexing of comments.
- JIRA from Atlassian: https://www.atlassian.com/

4. TAB-Board joint meeting (report to Board, etc.), followed by break [2:00pm-3:00pm]
- Martin presents annual report.
- comment: specification reviews is an important TAB contribution to quality.

5. Conformance Guidelines update: [3:30pm-5:00pm]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html
Goal is first to identify opportunities/requirements for improvement.

To address:

(1) scope of the doc: just conf clauses or more generally conformance + normative content (includes keywords directives)?

(2) adjust to latest updates in (2.a) normative keywords, (2.b) non-machine-implementable specs.

(3) more educational material? (examples? errors to avoid? FAQ?)

(4) design questions: can a conf clause override a normative statement,
e.g. make a MUST out of a SHOULD when addressing a higher conformance level? (case when several levels of conformance)

(5) impact on the Specification template ?

- Ashok: some types of specifications are about "behavior" of an implementation, useful to distinguish the conformance requirements and conformance clauses depending on such specification types?
- Jacques: we did a classification in section 3 of guideline: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/tab/TestingPolicy where we distinguish 3 general categories of specs:

(a) Data artifacts
(b) State machines
(c) Processors

being understood that often a specification exhibit more than one type of normative content.

- to develop better: conformance targets categorization and possibly related conf clause styles
- also: should we borrow / align with notion sof "conformnance profiles", "conformance levels" as defined in other places (W3C)

- Section 3: keywords: either align w "new "Keywords directives", or refer to it and not duplicate.

- Section 4: Normative statements: seems at its place in Conformance Guidelines
(i.e. about more than just Conformance Clauses, must help how to write good normative statements)

- question: should Conformance Guidelines reflect the editorial policy options (to be on templates)?

- Patrick: yes to merging Keywords directives in Conformance Guidelines

- issues: how to relate to "Normative portion" as defined in IPR policy?

- issue: guidance about meta-statements like "this section is normative", or "this section is non-normative"?

- Ashok: this is hard to pretend to do so.

- Patrick: Put in template: introductions, examples, notes, annexes, are all non-normative.

- Patrick: Other non-normative sections must be marked with: Normative following the title.

- Patrick: tempalte could say: "everything in Introduction" is non-normative, same for "example". BY default, any other content is ground for conformance.

- issue: normative content without keywords? Yes: non-textual or non-phrased normative content (tables, diagrams) must be introduced or qualified by a sentence with normative keyword. E.g. "a widget MUST support the following state transitions as defined in the diagram XYZ."

- Patrick: Yes, but normative/non-normative should be declared at a section level. Doesn't depend on the presence of keywords.

- Section 5: Conformance Section and Clauses

- Jacques: need more focus and guidance on "basic conf clause" before worrying about how Clauses combine and relate to each other.

- Patrick: Could it be useful to have a visual representation of a conformance clause with a visual break before it, that shows the normative text to which the conformance clause refers. , perhaps an example of a conformance clause that the reader can work before turning the page, based on some example normative text. (with answer) e.g. image of a page, with arrows... and maybe a "template" of clause.

- issue: should conformance clause ALSO use normative keywords?
If so, Only the MUST? Or should conf clause be of the stye:
"A conf target XYZ that satisfies normative reqs ABC, can claim conformance at this level 123"

- issue: terminology to use in a conformance clause : "conforms", "supports", "satisfy" ...?

- issue: the way conformance clauses refer to Normative stsatements?

- issue: should we mention Test Assertions? In a marginal way? how do they connect to Conf Clauses and vice-versa?

6. Others, Plans and wrap-up [5:00pm-5:30pm]
- Zeshuan (Huawei) is still TAB liaison from Board
- next call Aug 9th (mostly to settle many little things / F2F follow-up.
- projected timeline for work in progress:
Keywords Directives as a separate milestone: end of September, before Board meeting.

20130730 (last edited 2013-12-05 17:43:00 by chet.ensign)