==============================================================
Minutes TAB call (Nov 01, 2013)
==============================================================


Info

Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda

1. Excellence Award for TCs (Carol Geyer.)
2. Admin:
- minutes Oct 18, approval
- action items status
- status of using JIRA to track TAB's work (if any update, non machine-processable investigation, charter creation guidelines
3. Normative Keyword directives : status
4. Editors guideline status (staff) vs. PR checklist:(TAB) possible separate processing.
5. Multi-part Work Product that include foreign work. Guidelines? (Chet)
6. PR activity: current status, process:
7. charter creation guidelines
- See logged issues: some mistakes to avoid.
8. Conformance Guidelines 2.0,
- see updates on some "fundamental" subset of issues.: #11, 14, 15, 17


Roll:

Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Chet Ensign (staff)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Zhexuan Song (Huawei)


Action Items status: those currently open + those that just changed status:

AI-11: [open](in progress) Chet: to write down best practices to create, save and share JIRA views on issues.
AI-12: [open](in progress) Chet and Patrick: adding comment buttons to HTML specs
AI-16: [closed] Chet: to create the Component and Versions for charter guidelines and non-machine processable conformance clauses.
AI-17: [open] (in progress) Chet/Jacques: to follow up on Normative Keyword guidelines after the board meeting. Chet to email process cmte
AI-18: [open] (in progress) Patrick: to verify whether issues can be imported in some way under new JIRA.

(new)

AI-19: [open] (new) Patrick: send stylesheet engine to Chet for Mac
AI-20: [open] Chet: to follow up with Process Cmte on whether Keywords documents can go out
AI-21: [open] Chet: add an item in JIRA to track an HTML version of Patrick's citation resource.
AI-22: [open] Jacques: review the checklist, how we can make it a usable document for TC editors
AI-23: [open] Patrick: advise on notice/access to guidelines for TC editors for Collection of guidelines
AI-24: [open] Patrick: to start identify preliminary classes for PR comments (and rough proportions for each class?)
AI-25: [open] Jacques: will add items to JIRA for charter guidelines


Minutes: (assisted by: Chet)

1. Excellence Award for TCs (Carol Geyer.)

- Staff idea - "if the TAB is interested, we would love to have you take it on. If not, no problem".
- A: excellent idea - but what criteria could we use?
- C: we thought maybe 2 per year - one recognizing a new TC, one recognizing an established TC
- J: sounds like a good idea , but we need a good sense of how much review work it involves..
- A: how many qualifying TCs would we have to examine? 5? 20? Chet: only a few, staff would do a pre-selection.
- need to evaluate how much time needed to do that selection in a fair way.
- Ashok: staff nominates first a small set of TCs candidates, then TAB complete the selection.
- Timeline? C: award made sometime in the spring
- need either to be clear about the criteria, or very opaque.

Conclusion: would give more visibility to TAB (and a carrot if not a stick), but only viable if staff helps make a significant preselection.

2. Admin:

- minutes Oct 18, Chet moves to approve, Ashok seconds. No objs. Minutes approved.
- Chet will assist in adding minutes to the TAB wiki.
- action items status: (see above)

- Zhexuan: update from the board f2f
o comments from public reviews. Board requests that we make clear that the feedback is by one individual on behalf of the TAB - not some special type of comment.
o Patrick: a boiler plate to TAB reviews:

"Members of the Technical Advisory Board (TAB) volunteer to review OASIS work products during their initial 30 day review periods. Comments submitted are from the member and not the TAB as a whole, unless otherwise indicated.
I have exported comments which I made on Basic Profile Version 1.2 in the TAB JIRA into an Excel spreadsheet, which is attached to this message. Acknowledgement of these comments can consist of a single email acknowledging receipt of the attached file. No need to acknowledge each comment separately.
When the TC decides on the disposition of all these comments, I would appreciate a pointer to the TC's decisions as the TAB is tracking the fate of comments submitted to TCs."

o Board asks that Jacques as chair join board meetings for the update portion.

- status of using JIRA to track TAB's work (if any update, non machine-processable investigation, charter creation guidelines

3. Normative Keyword directives : status

- Board did not discuss handling TAB documents like keyword guidelines
- AI to Chet to follow up with Process Cmte on whether Keywords documents can go out

4. Editors guideline status (staff) vs. PR checklist:(TAB) possible separate processing.

- J: this relates to the outline that Paul produced for an editor manual last summer
- Chet: Paul and I haven't worked further on that document
- J: understandable - it was an ambitious project
- J: could we turn the TAB checklist (much smaller - just a table) into a separate, proactive document for editors. Should we revised the PR Checklist as a short guidelines document (to TC editors) ?
- C, A: in favor
- P: along with such HTML guideline, it would be fairly easy to produce HTML citations in proper format for W3C and IETF that could also be provided as well.
- Chet: HTML version better than a hard copy doc (for citations)
- A: what about items that aren't quite standard yet? candidate recommendations etc.? how should TCs reference them?
- J: other SDOs have similar referencing issues: Recent W3C guidelines for dealing with non-standard references: document describing considerations the W3C Director takes into account when evaluating normative references in Recommendation Track documents: http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references
- AI to Chet to add an item in JIRA to track an HTML version of citation support, accessible as a Web page resource.
- AI to Jacques - review the checklist and come back with suggestions on how we can make it a usable document for TC editors
- P: can we add a JIRA issue on giving greater visibility to these TAB work products
- Patrick: Collection of guidelines and the location of notice/access to guidelines for TC editors - work item.

5. Multi-part Work Product that include foreign work. Guidelines? (Chet)

- issue: referencing non-official work: there is no guarantee the material will be stable or even its version number. So: bundle it with your work (if you can copy it)?
- bundling as a part of a WP has been advised in some cases. Unambiguous, remove unstability concern. Just needs copyright.
- Chet: recap - really part of item #4 - the citation policy discussion

6. PR activity: current status, process:

- J: Patrick has done almost all the PRs to date
- Chet: 8 public reviews so far:
o XLIFF V2.0 CSPRD02 19/Sep/13
o UnreleasedTOSCA V1.0 COS01 11/Jun/13
o UnreleasedCAMP V1.1 CSPRD01 31/Jul/13
o UnreleasedWS-BRSP Basic Profile Version 2.0 CSPRD01 30/Sep/13
o UnreleasedWS-BRSP Basic Profile Version 1.2 CSPRD01 30/Sep/13
o UnreleasedBasic Security Profile Version 1.1 CSPRD01 30/Sep/13
o UnreleasedReliable Secure Profile Version 1.0 CSPRD01 30/Sep/13
o UnreleasedSAML Conformance Clause for AS4/ebMS Version 1.0 CSPRD01

-J: do you see some reoccurring problems that we might proactively address to help the editors?
- P: the most obvious is as simple as checking the HTML links some caused by the redirects from http to https
- P: citations, normative versus non-normative
- P: structural aspects (not technical content) are often failing, e.g. identifying what is norm vs non-norm in the content
- J: regarding the process itself - exporting from JIRA is working fine and is very scalable
- Chet: PR process to track and communicate comments to TC is working well with new process.
- Also useful when presenting to Board (aggregate reports, # of public reviews, number of comments, categories. Identifying what are the most recurring issues , identify remedial actions.)
- Patrick: Logging comments will help TAB to set priorities for its PR work
- C: we will be able to show the board not only what we've reported to TCs but also what we've done as a result that are of benefit to the members
- J: we may be at a point where we can start classifying comments into broad groups (just 5 or 6 categories enough)
- AI to Patrick to start a preliminary classification to the comments.

7. charter creation guidelines
- See logged issues: some mistakes to avoid.
- Jacques: sent out some comments in email -> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201310/msg00458.html
- AI: Jacques will add these to JIRA and we can add more - use as a scratch pad to get a list

8. Conformance Guidelines 2.0,
- see updates on some "fundamental" subset of issues.: #11, 14, 15, 17

Postponed.

Next TAB meeting: 11/15, 1h.

Meeting adjourned.

20131101 (last edited 2013-12-05 19:00:01 by chet.ensign)