==============================================================
Minutes TAB call (Dec 20, 2013)
==============================================================


Info

Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda

1. Admin:
1.1 minutes Dec 06, approval
1.2 short action items status
1.3 Web page and collaboration management:
- how to subscribe to tab-comments list archives?
- PR notices are cluttering tab list: could we forward to another list?

2. Normative Keyword directives : status, current feedback
- Martin C. (meaning of the words should be normative regardless of case)
- J.Borras

3. excellence award (JIRA "Long" Action Items ):
- https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-424
- drafting selection criteria

4. Citation database update (JIRA "Long" Action Items ):
- https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-435
- outline a concrete follow-up on this?
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/51294/rfc-current-NG.html

5. PR status. What specs are / have been reviewed, use of JIRA.
- the PKCS #11 family.
- already 8 specs reviewed. Becomes urgent to categorize comments


Roll:

Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)


Action Items status: those currently open + those that just changed

AI-12: [open](in progress) Chet and Patrick: adding comment buttons to HTML specs.
(got it working, still in progress, will send samples for a next PR)

AI-24: [open] Patrick: to start identify preliminary classes for PR comments
(and rough proportions for each class?). In progress.

AI-26: [open] (new) Chet: do we have a mailing list for TC editors?
So far we plan to use it - an editors@ can subscribe to, and anyone too in a TC.
We'll wait for something to put on the list.

AI-27: [open] (new) ? : deferred PR comments: e.g. TOSCA comments:
how to track those deferred until V1.1? (need to extract a subset of comments)

AI-28: [open] Patrick: to write up the process:
how issues can be imported in some way under new JIRA

AI-29: [open] Chet: to ask Jose to remove public link from the About the TAB page

AI-30: [open] (new) all: entries in JIRA "Affect Version" in TAB project become messy:
a mix-up of PR spec names, TAB action items and guidelines...need better categorization - but can't sort them in display.

AI-31: [open] Patrick: to see if shopping list and w3c citation builder are concurrent

AI-32: [open] Jacques: to initiate a new JIRA long AI for guidance to TCs on how to architect their specs (in case several docs)

Long-lasting AIs (recorded in JIRA):

AI-TAB-20: [open] (in progress) RFC 2119 / ISO Keyword Guidelines.

AI-TAB-424: [open] (in progress) Define TAB process for Excellence Award


Minutes:

1. Admin:
1.1 minutes Dec 06: approved
1.2 short action items status (see
above) 1.3 Web page and collaboration management:
- still unclear how to *subscribe* to tab-comments list archives? (Jacques does not see the list on his subscription manager page)
- PR notices are cluttering tab mailing list: maybe it is just a client side issue.
To avoid this: just add a mailbox rule to forward in a different mailbox.
Patrick: we can't selectively turn that off, apparently.

2. Normative Keyword directives : status, current feedback to address:
Process: Patrick to send on TAB list the summary of TC decision here.
Jacques would forward days later to comment authors, if no more TAB edits.

2.1- Martin C. (meaning of the words should be normative regardless of case)
Patrick: but if lower case: NOT anymore a keyword according to RFC2119.
- We could "profile" RFC2119 but no longer claim we just follow RFC2119

2.2- J.Borras (interoperable applications is not the focus of all OASIS Standards)
tab comment archives: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab-comment/
- we agree to take out the "interop" statement in Intro.

3. excellence award (JIRA "Long" Action Items ):
- https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-424
- brainstorming on selection criteria:
o time-to-standard (from inception of TC, from kick-of of a new V) (but takes time...)
o execution quality indicator: # rejections of requests (Web forms) to TC admin (e.g. PR request)
o success/adoption of the standard? (hard to evaluate, takes time)
o attendance in meetings: average ratio of attendees over membership
o attendance in meetings: stability over time (how small the drop from early days, over 1 year?
o TC membership growth over time
o prize to largest new TC
Patrick: how to encourage TCs to reach out beyond just OASIS
Ashok: critical issue: evaluate business relevance
Ashok: quality of TC representation of major actors in an infustry space, for a TC pretending at a standard in that space.
Patrick: and TC with the most non-OASIS members who joined OASIS for the TC
Ashok: lifetime achievement award for really great OASIS standards
Patrick: I would suggest UBL for our first one
- There seems to be two major categories of excellence indicators:
o operational indicators (TC process, execution),
o business indicators (membership growth, industry relevance) Ashok: who is awarded, depending on the indicator: editor? whole TC? Customers?
- Jacques: please fill-up discussion thread on https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-424

4. Citation database update (JIRA "Long" Action Items ):
- https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-435
- outline a concrete follow-up on this?
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/51294/rfc-current-NG.html

- Patrick: need clarify what kind of DB staff is considering.
- We dont have workflow set-up for now. so citation DB (W3C already has one) is not hard to do but usage depends on the workflow.
- the hard part is to get people to use it - need make sure to be effective. - DB may be simple: W3C DB is Just a big text file (RDF). But updated frequently, and backed-up with XSLT for selections, rendering.
- about external DB: if someone else is maintaining, we shouldn't - most likely design: a one-stop shopping HTML page, used as gateway to several external or internal sources of citations. Editors then cut-n-paste.
- Ashok: "shoping list" (Robin)? started years ago but abandoned it seems. - AI for patrick, see if shopping list and w3c citation builder are concurrent
- ashok: ideal: caching on OASIS site of preiodically consulted external resources?
- further automation is rather hard
- in a first phase: cut-n-paste is expected from editors, and it should always be an option anyway.

5. PR status. What specs are / have been reviewed, use of JIRA.

5.1 the PKCS #11 family.
- Patrick: PKCS seems to have been written outside OASIS?
- Patrick did references review. Jacques did conformance clauses review.
- a body of work composite, only 2 parts need conf clauses. (So: a multi-part WP?)
- clearly the TC would have benefited from guidance early on: guidance for CN vs. CS, guidance on how to organize (architect) the whole body of work: separate specs vs. single multipart WP?
- Jacques: PKCS presents itself as a set of fairly separate specs with their own conf clauses, but the fact is they are so interrelated, does not make sense to have their own conf clauses.
- patrick: TAB needs develop some guidance on how to organize a whole body of work (multiple docs, multi-part WP)

5.2 Becomes urgent to categorize comments
- jacques: just a half dozen categories is enough (references, conf clauses, overall architecture...)
- Patrick: will suggest a set of categories for PR comments
- jacques: we'll need to categorize comments for past PRs, so we can produce statistics to Board.

Other: - next meeting Fri Jan 10.

meeting adjourned.

20131220 (last edited 2014-01-10 20:35:51 by chet.ensign)