==============================================================
Minutes TAB call (Jan 10, 2014)
==============================================================


Info

Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda

1. Admin:
1.1 minutes Dec 20, approval
1.2 short action items status
1.3 Miscellaneous Web and collaborative aspects to TAB work (if any)
1.4 How can we make better progress on the pending guidelines (see deferred section)

2. Normative Keyword directives : status & next step, after feedback from review (Martin, J.Borras)

3. excellence award (JIRA "Long" Action Items ):
- https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-424
- review of selection criteria from last meeting, follow-up

4. Citation database update (JIRA "Long" AI: https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-435 ), follow-up on this:
- see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/51294/rfc-current-NG.html

5. PR status. What specs are / have been reviewed, use of JIRA.
- coming: MQTT V3.1.1 .
- categorizing comments (see AI-24)
- splitting a spec review (based on checklist areas?), as done with PKCS?


Roll:

Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Chet Ensign (staff)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Robin Cover (staff)


Action Items status: those currently open + those that just changed

AI-12: [open](in progress) Chet and Patrick: adding comment buttons to HTML specs.
(got it working, still in progress, will send samples for a next PR)

AI-24: [closed] Patrick: to start identify preliminary classes for PR comments (and rough proportions for each class?). In progress.

AI-26: [closed] (new) Chet: do we have a mailing list for TC editors?
So far we plan to use it - an editors@ can subscribe to, and anyone too in a TC.
Chet suggests that we stick with fewer mailing lists - just send stuff to members@ with a subject line reading "From the TAB for TC Editors..."
Robin: Agree with proposal to not re-activate the editors list.
And: when (if) we get a list of editors via automation from a database, we would re-consider a mailing list targeted just for editors, with little maintenance.

AI-27: [open] (new) ? : deferred PR comments: e.g. TOSCA comments:
how to track those deferred until V1.1? (need to extract a subset of comments)

AI-28: [open] Patrick/Chet: to write up the process:
how issues can be imported in some way under new JIRA
Patrick: importing is possible in curr JIRA but requires administrator roles.
not set up for routine use - more as a system migration process
Suggestion from P: we could post JIRA issues directly into the TC JIRA space
chet: we still need to send these comments on mailing list. We can still move issues from a project to another. there is a "move" capability for JIRA issues
Will hold open pending Patrick and I documenting our findings

AI-29: [closed, morphed into AI-36] Chet: to ask Jose to remove public link from the About the TAB page we have a TAB public Kavi group, though (if not a public page)
P: if we want the TAB to be more visible, then this could be a step in the wrong direction.

AI-30: [closed] (new) all: entries in JIRA "Affect Version" in TAB project become messy:
a mix-up of PR spec names, TAB action items and guidelines...need better categorization - but can't sort them in display.

AI-31: [open] Patrick: to see if shopping list and w3c citation builder are concurrent. Answer is “yes”.

AI-32: [open] Jacques: to initiate a new JIRA long AI for guidance to TCs on how to architect their specs (in case several docs)
- done: https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-516

AI-33: [open] (new) Jacques will draft a note to Carol outlining the proposed general model and ask if staff is willing to nominate TCs

AI-34: [open] (new) Jacques will contact Martin and Borras about our disposition of their comments on keywords guidelines.

AI-35: [open] (new) Chet:post approved minutes to Wiki

AI-36: [open] (new) ? assessing the need for a TAB public page.
we have a TAB public Kavi group, though (if not a public page)
P: if we want the TAB to be more visible, removing public page is a step in the wrong direction


Long-lasting AIs (recorded in JIRA):

AI-TAB-20: [open] (in progress) RFC 2119 / ISO Keyword Guidelines.

AI-TAB-424: [open] (in progress) Define TAB process for Excellence Award


Minutes: (assisted by: Chet)

1. Admin:

1.1 minutes Dec 20: UNAN approved.
- AI to Chet - post approved minutes to Wiki

1.2 short action items status (see above status list)
- about AI-28: we could post JIRA issues directly into the TC JIRA space
chet: we still need to send these comments on mailing list. We can still move issues from a project to another. there is a "move" capability for JIRA issues
Will hold open pending Patrick and I documenting our findings

1.3 Miscellaneous Web and collaborative aspects to TAB work (if any)

1.4 How can we make better progress on the pending guidelines (see deferred section)
-jacques: can't do all of them well. Unless we redefine "guideline" as something more modest.
- Chet: select which guideline to work on next - which has greatest value for members?
- PR checklist, charter creation guidelines or conformance guidelines?
- agreement that Conformance Clauses Guidelines is best for now.most immediate value (to improve quality)
- Patrick: in reviews, conformance clauses are always an issue.

2. Normative Keyword directives : status & next step, after feedback from review (Martin, J.Borras)
- We can publish the Keywords document and then declare it done
- we have addressd all comments (Martin, Borras). Martin suggestion is not followed (problematic)
- P: lets send the responses to John Borras and Martin C and then approve the document.
- Next steps: J to send reply on behalf of TAB. If no problem, then on our next call we approve to publish.
- Ashok: if we haven't heard back by next meeting, we also go ahead and approve and publish
- chet: spec architecturing is a separate guideline... https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-516

3. excellence award (JIRA "Long" Action Items ):
- https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-424
- review of selection criteria from last meeting, follow-up
- Two indicators of excellence: operational (how well a TC works via the process)
and business (growth in membership, industry relevance)
- P: why don't we ask staff to nominate TCs - e.g. 3 in each category. Like the Academy Awards
- first, staff nominates TCs, say 3 in each category, then TAB decide. Because otherwise, takes too much effort.
- "Academy award" model. a model that everyone understands
- That removes suspicion that TAB played favorite: nomination is the first step.
- reduces likelihood of negative reaction
- but "how does the TAB decide" question needs answer
- Ashok: 1 concern: shifting burden on staff. What if staff has much work doing this?
- jacques to draft a note to Carol with the model we outline - give staff a chance to assess model
- J: even if there are no quantitative measures would still be good to have something that we could communicate to the TCs
- P: do need a list that 'a good TC does these things' - generic list of good practices
- academy award does not give details. Need be careful about communicating detailed indicators.
- chet: could have some little blurb stating the highlights that led to award/nomination. No comparison with other TCs. Little blurb from the TAB "imoressed with bla bla bla..."
- P: No quantitative or comparative statements

4. Citation database update (JIRA "Long" AI: https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TAB-435 ), follow-up on this:
- see: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/51294/rfc-current-NG.html

5. PR status. What specs are / have been reviewed, use of JIRA.

- coming: MQTT V3.1.1 .
- MQTT PR has a substantial conf section... always issues with conf clauses

- categorizing comments (see AI-24)
From Patrick:
- Citations issues:

- Style:

- Document Architecture
- Conformance Clauses

- Possible strategy for TAB reviews: splitting a spec review (based on checklist areas?), as done with PKCS?

Other:
- next meeting Fri Jan 24, 1h.

meeting adjourned.

20140110 (last edited 2014-01-24 14:47:43 by chet.ensign)