==============================================================
Minutes TAB call (Apr 4, 2014)
==============================================================


Info

Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda

1. Admin:
1.1 minutes Mar 21, approval
1.2 short action items status
1.3 Miscellaneous Web and collaborative aspects to TAB work (if any), new JIRA.
- see TAB page group notes: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/

2. Recently updated guidelines:
2.1 Keywords Guidelines:
- recent comments, follow-up.
2.2 PR Checklist new version (aligned with comments categories)
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/52557/TAB-ReviewChecklist-rev5.doc
- what in "process" category?

3. PR status.
- Recent reviews, pipeline status (latest: KMIP, CloudAuthZ), structural issues, other.
- inline comments (Patrick
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/52662/camp-spec-v1.1-csprd01.html
- use of JIRA.
- generating stats.

4. Conformance Clause guideline:
- a short, evolutive guide vs full document?
- proposed format (to be uploaded): 10 rules for writing conformance clauses + samples
- review current JIRA issues logged (12)


Roll:

Chet Ensign (staff)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Robin Cover (staff, observer)


Short Action Items status: those currently open + those that just changed

AI-12: [open](in progress) Chet and Patrick: adding comment buttons to HTML specs.
(got it working, still in progress, will send samples for a next PR)
Patrick: AI-12 - minimal form, categories: editorial/technical - impact high/med/low - and wording changes
Patrick: AI-12 - need fix the TOCs links as well

- Remains open. Still in progress. (script getting inconsistent inputs - some aspects unstable)

AI-39: [closed] Patrick/Chet: (follow-up on AI-2
Patrick: need to document how we can transmit issues to TC and how to track them once transferred.
Closed. Tracking is by submitters or TC.
Patrick: AI-39 https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/52171/TAB-Comment-Transfer-Process02.odt

AI-42: [open] (follow-up AI-39) Robin: will spot check the documents for a quick sanity check

- Patrick to make final assessment. see my email. Kavi says 40 docs (or 76?)
- Patrick: list is complete.
- Robin did not see anything in his scan of the files that we couldn't safely make public.
- closed

AI-43: [open] Jacques :to validate Patrick's proposal for AI-39.

- remains open

AI-44: [open] TAB: how should we make past public review comments available to OASIS members?
For long term: search & filter old issues is enough.

- Question: where to make the comments "dumps" available to public?
- chet: load the excel files in KAVI rep, but list them in main TAB KAVI page (e.g. a table in TAB wiki). DOnt believe a nicer interface can work. A navigational page would do.
- Patrick will write something up on this.
- remains open

AI-45: [open] Chet: to check if we can remove aged out Version names without affecting the issues.

- versions can be deleted - but that deletes all issues or erase version # from the issues.
That affects other issues material.
- Chet will look into archiving.
- remains open (archiving)

AI-46: [open] Patrick/Jacques: will send examples of good and bad conf clauses before the next meeting

- remains open

AI-47: [open] Patrick/Chet to edit properly the Keywords guidelines to address upper/lower case comment from Tim.

- closed. Published.

AI-48: [open] (new) Chet - to open new JIRA TAB issue on documents in general (follow-up of AI-37)
clean-up needed .

- Chet: It isn't clear that the Testability Guidelines was ever on the Policies page
- Chet: keep that material on the WIKI and link to the wiki page from TAB page
- Still open - Chet will do after the meeting

AI-50: [open] (new) Patrick to make a page on Wiki for hosting our PR comments available to members.

- open. Per TC name, or per date. Could a script automatically populate the page?

AI-51: [all] review / finalize proposed content for TAB public page.

- chet: get our TAB PR comments (some of) links added to the page, then ask Jose to make it public.
Here is the link to TAB Kavi page - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab
- Robin Cover: Just let me know: I can make the web pages public when we are ready...
- Issue still open pending final request to Robin to make it public

AI-52: [open] (new) Jacques :to concact Tim Hudson to report on TAB decision(s) about his comments on Keywords guidelines..

- closed.

AI-53: [open] (new) Patrick: new topic - what guidance do we give TCs who want to create test cases for testing conformance

AI-54: Jacques: to populate the "Process" category in PR checklist with Patrick input.


Long-lasting AIs (recorded in JIRA):

AI-TAB-20: [open] (in progress) RFC 2119 / ISO Keyword Guidelines.

AI-TAB-424: [open] (in progress) Define TAB process for Excellence Award

AI-TAB-435: CItation database (RFC)


Minutes: (assisted by: Chet)

1. Admin:
1.1 minutes Mar 21: no discussion, no objections, minutes of 3/21 approved
1.2 short action items status (see above)
1.3 Miscellaneous Web and collaborative aspects to TAB work (if any), new JIRA.
- take off agenda. (1.3)
- see TAB page group notes: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/

2. Recently updated guidelines:
2.1 Keywords Guidelines:
- recent comments, follow-up.
- Guidelines are published, nothing further to discuss.
2.2 PR Checklist new version (aligned with comments categories)
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/52557/TAB-ReviewChecklist-rev5.doc
- what in "process" category?
- Chet: clarifying my assumption - we are doing this for TC editors and reviewers, yes?
- J: correct.
- chet: the form of PR checklist is right for us TAB, but maybe not for TC editors and reviewers
(level of detail is shallow). How do I interpret this? E.g. "Partitioning of documents..."
- Robin: One checklist document intended for (a) authors/editors, and (b) for reviewers/readers... seems like a difficult design challenge: seems that we need separate checklists
- Robin: e.g. use statements "there is an abstract that sufficiently summarizes the purpose...", instead of questions.
- Chet: general comment - questions are too generic right now and not clear to editors what they'd need to do if the answer was 'no'
- Robin - split checklist for editors apart from checklist for reviewers
- Question: do we know of examples of checklists from other organizations that we could look at as examples?
- Robin: separable checklists for reviewers and TC editors.
- patrick: how to communicate the checklist content to different communities, is different.
- ... when guidance comes into play, checklist is too terse.
- Ashok: thinking about our goal - it is to help editors write specs. wouldn't that work better in a manual?
- Question: in addition to 'is there a checklist' - do we know of examples of editor's manuals?
- Patrick: Sure, the term paper guide you got in college is an example.
- Chet: well, not a bad idea at all... (Ashok +1)
- Patrick: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201404/msg00023.html
- Process comment category: Patrick identified 7 issues in this category
- AI Jacques: to populate the "Process" category in PR checklist with Patrick input.

3. PR status.
- Recent reviews, pipeline status (latest: KMIP, CloudAuthZ), structural issues, other.
- chet: new KMIP "protocol profile 1.2" short doc.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/kmip/profiles/v1.2/kmip-profiles-v1.2.html
- inline comments (Patrick
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/52662/camp-spec-v1.1-csprd01.html
3.3- Test cases as part of the specification.

- about comment categorization: Patrick: can't go back and modify "environment" field on past issues.
- chet: the excel export can nicely be partitioned per comment category
- Patrick: Chet, let me know if you get near a deadline and I can update the environment field in Excel. (chet agrees)
- We'll be able to display some high-level statistics and summaries to give a view into OASIS work product that no one has seen before.

- New issue 3.3 - what guidance do we give TCs who want to create test cases for testing conformance
- Robin: See also on this: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201404/msg00021.html
-jacques: (normative) test case material is OK, but a normative interpretation of it must be clearly defined. That was missing from KMIP. And conf clause then can refer to it.
- Patrick: does not mind a tet case to be normative, but how to relate to conformance?
- ... the limited scope of "testing" is not a good way to define conformance.
- chet: KMIP sent replies to our comments.
- patrick: response was curious. They didn't have test cases for KMIP 1.2 - because could not cover all cases. But they did for the profile.

Jacques (Fujitsu): jacques: test case material may be OK in spec, but interpretation of these was not clear in KMIP (should be normatively described)

Robin Cover: @Patrick: Placeholder for conformance (clauses) relying upon outcome from published test cases: "An implementation that claims to conform to this specification MUST be able to run all test cases in Section 2 TestCases, producing the 'Expected Output'." [ http://docs.oasis-open.org/opencsa/sca-assembly/sca-assembly-1.1-testcases-csprd03.html#__RefHeading__34870_1166455850 ]

4. Conformance Clause guideline:

Jacques posted a draft with some proposed new format. Something that can evolve.
- tries to identify "10 rules to write Conformance Clauses" that would help the most recurrent problems. Then place holders for sample clauses.

Next meeting date: 3 weeks from today. Friday, April 25th. for 90 minutes
Meeting adjourned.

20140404 (last edited 2014-04-25 17:22:17 by chet.ensign)