=============================================================
Minutes TAB call (May 22, 2015)
=============================================================


Info
Time: 2pmET
Dial:
Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806


Agenda
1. Admin and general status:
- Approval Minutes May 1
- review of short term action items.

2. Review latest TAB recommendations report to open-source initiative from staff (uploaded 5/9):
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/document.php?document_id=55625

3. TAB reorg:
TAB charter : follow-up discussion on needed updates, to be proposed to Board before July.
- change in chairmanship,
- preserve the auditing role of TAB on staff/board initiatives.

4. PR status.

5. COnformance Conformance Clause follow-up:
- conformance templates (Ashok, Jacques)
- non-machine-processable specs: (Patrick)(TGF ,...)


Roll:
Kevin Mangold (NIST)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Robin Cover (staff)

excused:
Gershon Janssen (Board liaison)
Chet Ensign (staff)


Action Items:

AI: (TAB) TAB to review draft response to OSS initiative from staff, add content to it. Jacques to produce a revision after this meeting.

AI: (TAB) TAB to review charter between now and the July meeting.
let Gershon know we are going to do that and get proposed changes to Board by their June meeting. Chet to load a base copy of the charter into the document repository.

AI: Patrick to investigate how we could achieve something similar to commenting technique in IETF (needs XSLT?)
--> #315

AI: (still open) Ashok to investigate W3C "annotations"
--> #316

AI: (still open) (Jacques/Ashok) improve on the conf clause template + include the "surroundings" ? (conf clause section structure)
--> #317

AI: (new) Jacques to show/discuss w Patrick UBL mix of non-machine processable + processable.


Minutes:

1. Admin and general status:
- Approval Minutes May 1: approved unan
- review of short term action items: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/members/action_items.php
- #0315: In-line commenting techniques for specs: open
- #0317: improve on the conf clause template: open
- Open Standards Cup awards: TOSCA missing from confirmed TC category?

2. Review latest TAB recommendations report to open-source initiative from staff (uploaded 5/9):
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/document.php?document_id=55625
- Patrick: needs more timeto add / review
- Robin: clarification: some level of "control" from TC? Thinks that Open Repo would be loosely connected to TC. Maintainer appointed, possibly external. An independent creation. TC not supposed to control the OR community.
- Ashok: but there could be conflicts. OR group could produce something quite different from standard TC.
- Robin: http://xml.coverpages.org/open-source/Open-Source-in-SSOs-SDOs.html#SoftwareExamples
also: http://blogs.cisco.com/news/open-standards-open-source-open-loop
- Jacques: TC may still issue "alignment assessment" statements, about how the OR implementation releases align with the standard. The TC owns the standard, and users want to know if the OSS implementations are conforming. This is not intrusion in OR work.
- Robin: OR may do more than just implement the standard. Just need be germane to mission of the TC.
- Jacques: then that would be part of the alignment assessment for the TC to tell how the OR work differ from the standard. We owe this to the users of OASIS standards, otherwise what would be the point of craeting a standard?
- Goal: revisit the current OR Q/A draft, add/update (diffs) and we'll produce a better rev before Jun 5th meeting, for approval as "current opinion of TAB on the topic"

3. TAB reorg:
TAB charter : follow-up discussion on needed updates, to be proposed to Board before July.
- change in chairmanship,
- preserve the auditing role of TAB on staff/board initiatives.
- Jacques: auditing role should be preserved, in the TAB, for some technical initiatives or projects (from staff. from Board)
(Patrick: Jacques - name of the failed project was Mojave)

4. PR status.
- June 5th deadline for Legal encoding std.
- Patrick: real disconnect between prose part of a spec, and what is said in teh confoemance clause, e.g. conformance targets are not well distinguished (e.g. server side, client side of an implementation

5. Conformance Conformance Clause follow-up:
- conformance templates (Ashok, Jacques)
- non-machine-processable specs: (Patrick)(TGF ,...)
- Jacques: TAB not very successful at getting the "conformance" message through to TCs. Still see same mistakes.
- Patrick: could have a screen cast (TAB writes a conformance clause,....). Or a webinar (Jacques) Something more live. could be a TAB achievement.
- Jacques: non-machine processable specs: How can we acquire ISO9000? Could OASIS get it for us? There are several parts to this spec.
- Kevin : http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/management-standards/iso_9000.htm . Parts of ISO9000: ~160-170 bucks a piece
- ISO 9000 - Quality management
- ISO 9001:2008 - sets out the requirements of a quality management system
- ISO 9000:2005 - covers the basic concepts and language
- ISO 9004:2009 - focuses on how to make a quality management system more efficient and effective.
- ISO 19011:2011 - sets out guidance on internal and external audits of quality management systems.
- Patrick: http://www.british-assessment.co.uk/articles/whats-the-difference-between-iso-9000-9001
- Robin: Need to track w/ example Jacques gave about specs purchased by an SSO for members' use... follow up (an ongoing example).
- MOTION: for TAB chair to ask staff to buy ISO9000 specification, for the sole purpose of helping TAB produce guidance in how to write non-machine processable content (and specifications) , and how to write conformance clauses for these.
- Jacques: AI for next meeting : understand the different parts of ISO9000, the cost.

20150522 (last edited 2015-06-26 14:56:13 by chet.ensign)