=============================================================
Minutes TAB Face to Face (July 29-30, 2015)
=============================================================


Info

Oracle Burlington 5 Building
4 Van de Graaff Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
The TAB will be in Room 1042.


Agenda (modified)

1. Administration
- approval previous minutes.
- change reg meeting times (?)
- organizational change.
- other

2. First pass on TAB work plan and status:
- report to board.
- 2015/2016 Work Plan

3. Self-certification / testing (staff request).
- investigation of similar initiatives, discuss.
- TAB action in the short term.

4. PR process & outcome analytics
- Review and analyze past PRs, our interpretation of PR outcomes.
- Review of Patrick's analysis of public review comments and TC actions on comments.
- remedial recommendations.

5. Conformance clause guidelines:
- update for non-machine processable specs
- use of ISO9000
- Guidelines on normative references in OASIS works
- Conformance clause templates.

6. Other items ?
- citation resources (OASIS, RFC, W3C/ReSpec), action plan.
- Specification Editors Best Practices Guidelines.
- guidelines on multi-part work products vs. group of related specs?

Thu 7/30: (9amET - noon)


7. Follow-up on TAB general process and TAB as a resource
- Review of member-facing TAB pages & materials, public site.
- Review where all TAB documents are and what they look like. Decide on a consistent publishing location and a common look & feel-look back at all TABdocuments.
- use of JIRA.
- Webinars on conformance and other interactions between TAB and members

8. Follow-up on any item of choice from Wed. (Wed will terminate early)

9. Join meeting TAB-Board, presentation TAB report.

Appendix: Year's PRs: (to verify, not quite sure. How many specifications for each?)



- BusDoc Envelope (?)
- DocBook
- EDXL2.0 ("have" + "tec-registry")
- eTMF
- LegalDocML
- SMP
- UBL-NDR
- WS-Biometric
- XACML3-Admin-Deleg
- XMILE
- DITA?


Roll:
Chet Ensign (staff)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Kevin Mangold (NIST)
Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Robin Cover (staff/observer)

excused:
Gershon Janssen (Board liaison)

Scribe: Chet


Action Items:

AI: Patrick comments disposition labels usage.

AI for next meeting : understand the different parts of ISO9000, the cost.

AI: Patrick to sum up referencing issues in specs, from his reviewer viewpoint.

AI: CHet/Jacques: when TCs request public review, send them the checklist of 'have you done' as a response. Jacques to update the "TAB process doc" with this.

AI: (chet) - send checklist along with new templates when TCs request a starter document.(AI to Chet to organize doing that with Paul K.)


minutes

1. Administration
- approval previous minutes: Approved July 10 minutes - https://wiki.oasis-open.org/tab/20150710 .
- change reg meeting times (?) Time change for meetings: consider reverting to 11:00 AM Friday eastern - 8:00 AM pacific. Hanging to Jacques potential conflict, to clear-up soon. Meetings to last 1h.
- organizational change: CHet to chair next meetings.
- other

2. Firt pass on TAB work plan and status:

2.1 report to board.
- TAB drafted report of past year's accomplishments: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/download.php/56260/TAB%20Board%20Report%20july%20F2F-2015-rev2.ppt

2.2 2015/2016 Work Plan.
- TAB added outline of workplan for next year to its report, still to be discussed/modified/submitted to board for approval.
- Kevin: http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Work-Plan http://smallbusiness.chron.com/create-work-plan-4599.html

3. Self-certification / testing (staff request).
- TAB started drafting main lines of its proposal/recommendation.
- different angles and levels to be considered: (a) the level of formality supported by OASIS (between an enhanced "statement of use" and a full certification service), (b) the control of OASIS staff/TC on the various artifacts possibly involved (conf clause, test assertions, test suites, test environment & tools, test results and their publication), (c) the economics and logistics (cost & charge, involvement of 3rd party).
- Ashok to draft a first report.
- Important part of the report: investigation of similar initiatives in other orgs: WS-I, OpenID, W3C does NOT certify, but they have extensive common test suites and dashboards for test results. Use of ISO9004 to look at. Self-assessment tool.
- Goal is to produce a report before Board October meeting.
- Chet: Cyber-threat TC: would be part in providing some "certification".
- Kevin: NIST would accredit a 3rd party lab for certification on certain products. Then they don't do certify but point to the labs.
- Accreditation role for OASIS vs. certification role.
- Link from Laurent: http://openid.net/certification/
- Kevin: TC to provide more precise guidance on how to test for conformance.
Options:
1. informal self-cetification
2. (WS-I like) TC approves test tools, users download or use remotely, and post results for public to see.
3. #2 plus TC audits the results and issue a quality statement (e.g. from "poor" to "excellent")
4. OASIS accredit a 3rd party certification authority.
- Certification artifacts and their control:
Conformance Clauses is expressed fulfillment by> Test Assertions is implemented by> Test Suites is run buy> test tools/harness results in> test results/report/repository.
- Roles of TC:
o TC produces conformance clauses and test assertions (possibly test suites) and owns these.
o TC "qualifies" (or validates) test tools/harness and test results (and perhaps test suites, if compiled by a third party.
- Questions:
o if TC closes, how to carry on TC authority (e.g. validate test results for a self-certif.)?
o Who pay and how much?
- OASIS could provide basic services (if not the full certification procedure) like (a) test harness hook-up (if OASIS hosting test tools) (b) assessing the quality of test results. (b)can be done with the help of the TC, or of an appointed expert (in case TC closed).
- Kevin: in several cases, the standard originators have already sorted out certification and resources required outside OASIS. The standardization in OASIS is the last step for work already largely done before.
- On the formality levels: #3 (test results assessment (by TC, by appointed expert) should evaluate: (1) completeness of testing, (2) quality of test results.
- "informal self-certification": claims have to provide: (a) which conformance clause(s), (b) which set or subset of test assertions have been implemented and passed.
- About "role(s) of the TAB" in this initiative:
o - technical investigation of what is being done outside OASIS, and assessment.
o - helping line-up the options for self-certification
o - acting as an oversight authority about artifacts produced (by TC, by staff, by external parties) and their quality. E.g If TC makes an assessment of test results, TAB can audit that.

4. PR process & outcome analytics

4.1 Review and analyze past PRs, our interpretation of PR outcomes.
- Kevin: too many steps to file a comment, from outsiders (non-TAB). Subscription is a barrier. Also their legal dept is holding back. We should more clearly invite non-OASIS members, to comment. Chair of TC could do the reach-out.
- Jacques: not much progress from TCs in avoiding the same pitfalls we always comment about. Need to do a better reaching out to editors.
- Patrick: still need to get TCs to write meaningful conformance statements.

4.2 Review of Patrick's analysis of public review comments and TC actions on comments.
- out of 1040 disposed comments, 70% have been at least partially accepted and acted upon. 16% negative reception.
- 14 work products were reviewed, less than 300 comments this year, partly due to consolidation of similar comments for the same specification.

4.3 remedial recommendations.
- CHet: suggests we should comment much earlier in the process, at CSD level, so TCs have time to fix before first PR.
- Patrick: Another work item - we can collect public vs. tab comments for prior and current reviews

5. Conformance clause guidelines:

5.1- update for non-machine processable specs: still on our agenda: two very different non-machine processable specs: (a) reference models/architectures (an implementation is a "concrete model" or architecture), (b) administrative or human-driven processes. Need to follow-up on TGF study. Hint: for (b), a conformance clause should outline how the conformance verification process should work (e.g. describe the work/process of an authoritative body.)

5.2- Guidelines on normative references in OASIS works:
- just recommendation status? and/or some practices to be prohibited?

5.3- Conformance clause templates: in progress.

6. Other items ?
6.1- citation resources (OASIS, RFC, W3C/ReSpec), action plan:
- Patrick: Master citation list, be aware that the OASIS list isn't complete. We should be able to wrap-up quickly on a resource page with external links.

6.2- Specification Editors Best Practices Guidelines: pending (staff initiative).

6.3- guidelines on multi-part work products vs. group of related specs? We agree it is needed. Source of TAB comments of type "Structure".

6.4-Other:
- CHet: could TAB help on facilitating the creation of new TCs - e.g. by facilitating communication or external requirements transfers to OASIS.
- Jacques: we could refine the notion of liaison: e.g. liaise with orgs that have the potential of channeling requirements for standards into OASIS. E.g. IIC.

Thu 7/30: (9amET - noon)


7. Follow-up on TAB general process and TAB as a resource
- This topic is postponed until Chet comes back.
(- Review of member-facing TAB pages & materials, public site.
- Review where all TAB documents are and what they look like. Decide on a consistent publishing location and a common look & feel-look back at all TAB documents.
- use of JIRA.
- Webinars on conformance and other interactions between TAB and members.)

8. Follow-up on any item of choice from Wed. (Wed will terminate early)

9. Join meeting TAB-Board, presentation TAB report.
- Idea: there are initiatives (from staff, from Board) that require some technical investigation, some expertise to gather from inside or outside OASIS, that neither Staff nor board has time or bandwidth to conduct.
- Jacques presented the report. We got some questions about the PR process, possible effect on TC process and undesirable effects to avoid (delay of standard process). ED Laurent was pleased with the work of the TAB.
- TAB members attended the OpenID presentation and self-certification process. Appears to be useful material for our report.

Next meeting:
(August 14th) 2pm ET - 3pm ET

20150729 (last edited 2015-08-10 19:36:05 by chet.ensign)