=============================================================
Minutes TAB call (August 14, 2015)
=============================================================

Info
Time: 2pmET
Dial:
Host confcall: OASIS
US Toll Free: +1 559 546 1700
Participant AccessCode: 120469#

Agenda:

1) Approval of agenda and minutes from face-to-face: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/tab/20150729
2) Status of open action items
3) Review the F2F
4) Prepare response to the board on the work plan
5) Discuss DITA response to TAB comments (Patrick)
6) Discuss / plan next steps on Laurents self-certification feedback request
7) Discuss / plan next steps on publishing citation master list(s)

Roll:
Ashok Malhotra (Oracle)
Chet Ensign (staff)
Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
Kevin Mangold (NIST)
Patrick Durusau (individual)
Robin Cover (staff/observer)

1) Approval of agenda and minutes
No discussion raised on agenda. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda approved.

No discussion raised on minutes. No objections to unanimous approval. Minutes approved.

2) Status of open action items:

* Patrick comments disposition labels usage

* Understand the different parts of ISO9000, the cost.

* Jacques: officially thank Scott for ISO9000

* Patrick to sum up referencing issues in specs, from his reviewer viewpoint.

* Chet/Jacques: when TCs request public review, send them the checklist of 'have you done' as a response. Jacques to update the "TAB process doc" with this.

* Chet - organize sending TAB checklist along with new templates when TCs request a starter document. Chet to coordinate with with Paul K.

3) Review of F2F

Discussed board reaction to TAB's presentation. Consensus is that it went well but TAB surprised some concerns that TAB comments might impact a TC's progress.

Paul L. asked had we done any analysis of whether or not our PR comments affected TC progress.

Consensus that we should have informal discussion on ways we might give the TCs the opportunity to send us working drafts before formal public review.

For further consideration.

4) Prepare response to the board on the work plan

Reviewed work plan items, prioritized and assigned target timeframes for completion.

Action item to Chet to send draft work plan write to TAB to review.

5) Discuss DITA response to TAB comments

Discussion of DITA TC response to the comments Patrick and Jacques provided, particularly their not reviewing the concerns about keywords and conformance clauses raised.

Action item to Chet to draft a TAB note to the DITA TC expressing our understanding of their need to address some of these comments in next release of DITA and offering to work with TC members on improving these when they start their next round of editorial work.

Items 6 and 7 deferred. We will address them by email.

Next meeting scheduled for Friday, August 28th at 2:00 atlantic / 11:00 pacific. Ashok offers regrets, he will be unavailable.

Minutes submitted on 14 August 2015 by Chet Ensign

Chat log

Chet OASIS: Todays agenda:
Chet OASIS: Agenda:
Status of open AIs
AI: Patrick comments disposition labels usage is this done?
AI: who? understand the different parts of ISO9000, the cost. Patrick has given info on ISO9000. Can we close this?
AI: for Jacques: officially thanks Scott for ISO9000? Can we close this?
AI: Patrick to sum up referencing issues in specs, from his reviewer viewpoint. What is the issue here? Can we close this?
AI: Chet/Jacques: when TCs request public review, send them the checklist of 'have you done' as a response. Jacques to update the "TAB process doc" with this. close this and replace with next
AI: Chet - send checklist along with new templates when TCs request a starter document.(AI to Chet to organize doing that with Paul K.)
Review the F2F
Prepare response to the board on the work plan
Board/Martin would like: Item deliverable(s) time frame
Discuss DITA response to TAB comments (Patrick)
Discuss / plan next steps on Laurents self-certification feedback request
Discuss / plan next steps on publishing citation master list(s)
Chet OASIS: ---
Chet OASIS: ---
anonymous morphed into Patrick
Chet OASIS: Attending: Ashok, Patrick, Robin -- Kevin late
Chet OASIS: Jacques joins
Chet OASIS: Agenda review
Chet OASIS: Add appvl of meeting minutes
Chet OASIS: Agenda appv'ed
Chet OASIS: Minutes from F2F - https://wiki.oasis-open.org/tab/20150729
Chet OASIS: Minutes approved.
Chet OASIS: AI: Patrick comments disposition labels usage is this done?
Chet OASIS: Close this AI
Chet OASIS: I: who? understand the different parts of ISO9000, the cost. Patrick has given info on ISO9000. Can we close this? A
Chet OASIS: Close this AI
Chet OASIS: AI: for Jacques: officially thanks Scott for ISO9000? Can we close this?
Chet OASIS: Close this AI
Chet OASIS: AI: Patrick to sum up referencing issues in specs, from his reviewer viewpoint. What is the issue here? Can we close this?
Chet OASIS: Issue was doing an analysis of the reference use for reporting to the board.
Chet OASIS: Leave open.
Chet OASIS: AI: Chet/Jacques: when TCs request public review, send them the checklist of 'have you done' as a response. Jacques to update the "TAB process doc" with this. close this and replace with next
AI: Chet - send checklist along with new templates when TCs request a starter document.(AI to Chet to organize doing that with Paul K.)
Chet OASIS: Close the first.
Chet OASIS: Chet to finish the second this afternoon.
Chet OASIS: Next up - review F2F
Kevin Mangold (NIST): has the call not started yet?
JacquesD (Fujitsu): Kevin: Call in number:

Chet OASIS: Discussion. Jacques - went well. But J surprised some polite concerns about the impact of PR on TC progress.
Chet OASIS: Kevin joins.
Kevin Mangold (NIST): thanks. my phone was still programmed to the old dial-in number
Chet OASIS: J: Paul asked had we done any analysis of whether or not our PR had an affect on TC's progress through their process?
Chet OASIS: P: if we have some informal discussion in the TAB about giving the TCs the option to send the working draft to the TC earlier.
Chet OASIS: Possible actions: send offer to TC w/ template - offer review cmts when TC is getting close
Chet OASIS: Next up - work plan
Chet OASIS: Prepare response to the board on the work plan
Board/Martin would like: Item deliverable(s) time frame
Chet OASIS: Draft from last slide:
Chet OASIS: oContinue QA reviews on first CSD public reviews
Deliverables: spread sheet with TAB comments
Timing: ongoing
oResponse to Laurents request for feedback on self-certification options
Deliverable: white paper
Timing: ?
oPublish monthly master citations list
Deliverable: monthly citations list from TC Admin/TAB to TCs
Timing: start September 1st
oDevelop proposals for improving the feedback from public reviews
E.g. remove barriers to comments , announce public reviews to more channels
Deliverable: white paper
Timing: ?
oAdditions to conformance clause best practices: non-standards-track type clauses / conformance clause template
Deliverable: updated guidelines document
Timing: ?
oProduce leads to new TCs for OASIS business development
Deliverable: short problem description and contact(s) for Carol Geyer
Timing: ?
oRespond to any other board / staff requests for investigation
Timing: ongoing
oReorganize, consolidate existing TAB documents and make them easier for members to find
Deliverable: a more seamless and consistent TAB experience
Timing: ?
Chet OASIS: oContinue QA reviews on first CSD public reviews
Deliverables: spread sheet with TAB comments
Timing: ongoing
Chet OASIS: Add comment that we will reach out to TCs and offer feedback earlier to save them time on their first review.
Chet OASIS: Add comment: we will explore offering TAB review to TCs earlier - ahead of their first review. We'll propose a process and test it out with a couple of TCs
Chet OASIS: oResponse to Laurents request for feedback on self-certification options
Deliverable: white paper
Timing: ?
Kevin Mangold (NIST): maybe add this option to the new tc orientation?
Chet OASIS: Target draft to Laurent by end of September, ahead of board F2F
Chet OASIS: J: whatever we have by end of Sept - because timing is obviously importatn
Chet OASIS: oPublish monthly master citations list
Deliverable: monthly citations list from TC Admin/TAB to TCs
Timing: start September 1st
Chet OASIS: Patrick: how often do we want to publish?
Chet OASIS: P: once / month will work - we will need to spell that out in the prose intro
Chet OASIS: P: we need to work on the what the header will say.
Chet OASIS: Ashok: what about once per quarter?
Chet OASIS: P: most TCs citing stable things that have been around for awhile.
Chet OASIS: P: once / quarter works
Chet OASIS: C: so we'll target Oct 1
Chet OASIS: P: how about name it RFC citation list, etc. - instead of calling it a master list
Chet OASIS: C: we can get it in front of the board in draft form for Sept - before first release
Chet OASIS: AI: Patrick & Chet to mock up lists w/ header etc for the next TAB call.
Chet OASIS: oDevelop proposals for improving the feedback from public reviews
E.g. remove barriers to comments , announce public reviews to more channels
Deliverable: white paper
Timing: ?
Chet OASIS: Chet: deliver something 1st qtr next year
Chet OASIS: Jacques: many aspects to this.
Chet OASIS: Kevin: idea - web page where you can post a comment and click off a check box to indicate acceptance of IPR mode
Chet OASIS: K: if you sign up for any web account, you agree to its terms. This seems no different than that.
Chet OASIS: J: a comment web page would be much easier to use
Chet OASIS: K: have commenter provide an email list & then send a confirmation email notifying that address that a comment has been made
JacquesD (Fujitsu): Could be structured like a Web forum discussion thread, or a blog (for a specific work product)
Chet OASIS: Timing: 1st quarter 2015
Kevin Mangold (NIST): 2016-
Kevin Mangold (NIST): **
Chet OASIS: oAdditions to conformance clause best practices: non-standards-track type clauses / conformance clause template
Deliverable: updated guidelines document
Timing: ?
Kevin Mangold (NIST): switching phones again (sorry)
Chet OASIS: Timing: 2nd qtr 2016
Chet OASIS: oProduce leads to new TCs for OASIS business development
Deliverable: short problem description and contact(s) for Carol Geyer
Timing: ?
Chet OASIS: Ashok: let's leave this off the work plan
Chet OASIS: J: +1
Chet OASIS: J: this is unpredictable - we could investigate how we liaise with other organizations that could bring new work to OASIS?
Patrick: Stepping away just for a moment.
Chet OASIS: J: constellation of vertical orgs out there that might have interest in turning to OASIS to develop standards from their requirements
JacquesD (Fujitsu): there could be a process to improve, to allow transfer or awareness of requirements coming from non-SDO orgs, like IIC, or vertical consortiums.
Chet OASIS: Agree that we take this off & explore on our own
Chet OASIS: Thaink about it more
Chet OASIS: oRespond to any other board / staff requests for investigation
Timing: ongoing
Chet OASIS: oReorganize, consolidate existing TAB documents and make them easier for members to find
Deliverable: a more seamless and consistent TAB experience
Timing: ?
Patrick: back.
Chet OASIS: Timing: 1st qtr 2016
Chet OASIS: AI Chet: draft this up and review
Chet OASIS: Discuss DITA response to TAB comments (Patrick)
Chet OASIS: Patrick: they essentially blew off the comments on the wording. My question is: should I raise hell about it or is it such a mess that it should go over to 2.0?
Chet OASIS: Chet: feedback from the TC.
Chet OASIS: P: did they give feedback on the conf clauses? J: many comments on that. Chet: don't recall whether I did or not.
Chet OASIS: J: community may understand but for a first reader, it is not all that clear.
Chet OASIS: J: confirms that we need to do a better job of educating TCs on how to do conformance clauses and their importance.
Chet OASIS: J: is a change to a c.c. a material change?
Chet OASIS: P: they did point out in their comments they are interested in allocating resources to work with TAB on the conformance clauses.
Chet OASIS: P: if we use them as a sounding board to some extent to find out what's more helpful, what works
Chet OASIS: chet: maybe provide a reply back to them on what they did with these comments and offer to help with the next round of authoring and publication. J: more constructive than just looking for flaws.
Chet OASIS: AI; Chet to draft first pass at a reply
Chet OASIS: Next meeting: August 28th. Time: 2:00 eastern

20150814 (last edited 2015-08-31 15:42:22 by chet.ensign)