=============================================================
Minutes TAB call (January 29, 2016)
=============================================================

Info
Time: 2pmET
Dial:
Host confcall: OASIS
US Toll Free: +1 641 715-3822
Chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/tab

== Agenda ==
1) Roll call

2) Approval of agenda

3) Approval of minutes
- Minutes, 15 January 2016: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201601/msg00045.html

4) Status of public reviews
- Active reviews underway:

- Upcoming public reviews: KMIP Specification Version 1.3, KMIP Usage Guide Version 1.3 (a Committee Note)

- Discussion about getting more attention on public reviews

5) Status of open action items

* Chet & Patrick - develop process for quarterly publication of citation list.

* Chet - contact Carol Geyer about adding citation lists to Policies & Guidelines page.

* Chet - contact Carol about whether or not she thinks a webinar is a good idea.

* Jacques/Patrick - find and send links for reading on non-machine processable conformance clauses.

6) Discussion of conformance clauses for non-machine processable specifications

7) AOB

== Minutes ==

1) Roll call:
Ashok, Chet, Jacques, Kevin, Patrick

2) Approval of agenda
No discussion of agenda. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda approved.

3) Approval of minutes
- Minutes, 15 January 2016: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201601/msg00045.html
No discussion of minutes. No objections to unanimous approval. Minutes approved.

4) Status of public reviews
- Chet suggested that STIX and TAXII could most benefit from review. Discussion about conformance clauses. Patrick noted that they are minimal at best but TC unlikely to change them significantly for Version 1.0. TC has indicated interest in conferring with TAB on how to do conformance clauses best for Version 2.0.

- Discussion about the value if we could provide if we could see conformance clauses earlier than the PR.

5) Status of open action items

* Chet & Patrick - develop process for quarterly publication of citation list.
- Closed. The process is documented and working and the latest versions are loaded.

* Chet - contact Carol Geyer about adding citation lists to Policies & Guidelines page.
- Still open

* Chet - contact Carol about whether or not she thinks a webinar is a good idea.
- Closed. Carol is in favor of this but suggested we query some members first to see if people are interested. Kevin suggests we make this a required component of training for Chairs.

* Jacques/Patrick - find and send links for reading on non-machine processable conformance clauses.
- Still open

* New AI: Chet query members about interest in a webinar on conformance clauses

6) Discussion of conformance clauses for non-machine processable specifications

Jacques uploaded TGF-non-processable_conformance.doc, a change-marked draft of the conformance clause section of the document with comments embedded.

Discussed the document. Per Jacques, the big take away is that the clauses there used terms that were vague and fuzzy. The artifacts were not defined concretely enough for anyone to say whether or not they have actually conformed. E.g. 'a representative, democratic process.' Artifacts and agents must be defined as formally as possible - e.g. "Program leadership," "stakeholder collaboration."

Patrick suggested we might see if we could find some test cases where it would not be possible to draft a meaningful statement.

Jacques said the other takeaway is that you must improve the normative content so that it enables conformance clauses to be written. In this case, there is content in the conformance clauses that is barely mentioned in the narrative content.

Chet asked that we share relevant links before the next meeting. Topic continued to next meeting.

7) AOB
No other business raised.

Next meeting scheduled for Friday, February 12th at 2:00 pm eastern/11:00 am pacific.

Minutes submitted February 8th, 2016 by Chet Ensign

Chat log

Ashok: I will join in a minute. Skype is updating
Chet - OASIS: 1) Rol call - Jacques, Chet, Patrick, Kevin
Chet - OASIS: THanks Ashok
Chet - OASIS: 2) Agenda
Chet - OASIS: No disc, no obj, appvd
Chet - OASIS: 3) Mintues
jacques uploaded file: TGF-non-processable_conformance.doc
Chet - OASIS: No disc, no obj, appvd
Chet - OASIS: Ashok joins
Chet - OASIS: 4) status of public reviews
jacques: above, annotated in red the conf clause of TGF (non-machine processable)
Chet - OASIS: STIX and TAXII could most benefit from review. Asked Patrick for his take - conformance clauses are minimal at best
Patrick: [1] Conformant implementations must conform to all normative structural specifications of the UML model or additional normative statements within this document that apply to the portions of STIX they implement (e.g., Implementers of the entire TTP component must conform to all normative structural specifications of the UML model or additional normative statements within this document regarding the TTP component). [2] Conformant implementations are free to ignore normative structural specifications of the UML model or additional normative statements within this document that do not apply to the portions of STIX they implement (e.g., Non-implementers of any particular properties of the TTP component are free to ignore all normative structural specifications of the UML model or additional normative statements within this document regarding those properties of the TTP component).
The conformance section of this document is intentionally broad and attempts to reiterate what already exists in this document. The STIX 1.2 Specifications, which this specification is based on, did not have a conformance section. Instead, the STIX 1.2 Specifications relied on normative statements and the nonmandatory implementation of STIX profiles. STIX 1.2.1 represents a minimal change from STIX 1.2, and in that spirit no requirements have been added, modified, or removed by this section.
Chet - OASIS: Jacques: conformance clauses are such a big snag for TCs - if we could catch them ahead of the PR it would help avoid a second round of PR
Chet - OASIS: Need to address c.c. inadequacies as far upstream as possible
Ashok: I would say needs education
Chet - OASIS: Discussion about drafting an example for them to look at
Chet - OASIS: Chet needs to add the versions to the TAB JIRA for tagging the PR comments. After the meeting
Chet - OASIS: 5) action items
Chet - OASIS: * Chet & Patrick - develop process for quarterly publication of citation list.
Chet - OASIS: Chet & Patrick took care of this. Closed
Chet - OASIS: * Chet - contact Carol Geyer about adding citation lists to Policies & Guidelines page.
Chet - OASIS: Still open
Chet - OASIS: * Chet - contact Carol about whether or not she thinks a webinar is a good idea.
Chet - OASIS: Chet talked to Carol about the idea. She suggested that we ping members.
Chet - OASIS: Kevin: could this be a required training for chiars/editors?
Chet - OASIS: Close this item. Open a new one to query members about interest in conf clause webinar/training
Chet - OASIS: * Jacques/Patrick - find and send links for reading on non-machine processable conformance clauses.
New AI Chet - OASIS: Patrick: there was the ISO 9001 material - keep open and bump to next time
Chet - OASIS: 6) Discussion of conformance clauses for non-machine processable specifications
Chet - OASIS: Looking at the examples Jacques uploaded.
Chet - OASIS: Big take away is that the clauses there used terms that were vague and fuzzy. The artifiacts and moving parts of such programs are not defined concretely enough for anyone to say whether or not they have actually conformed
Chet - OASIS: A lot of loose ends at every stage of the conf clause write up
Chet - OASIS: Patrick: "e.g. 'a representative, democratic process' - need more than just using the terms. so e.g. what does a democracy have to consist of
Chet - OASIS: Ashok: what you want them to do is specify objective, measurable criteria
Chet - OASIS: Patrick: it would be interestiing to see if we could find some test cases where it would not be possible to draft a meaningful statement
Chet - OASIS: Jacques: other takeaway - you must improve the normative content so that it enables conformance clauses to be written - here you find stuff in the conformance clauses that is barely mentioned in the narrative content
Chet - OASIS: J: artifacts and agents must be defined as formally as possible - e.g. "Program leadership" - that is an agent that can be described in a way that can then be qualified
Chet - OASIS: J: also sub-processes
Chet - OASIS: e.g. "stakeholder collaboration"
Chet - OASIS: described again in terms of its qualities - does it follow some parlimentary process for example
List of attendees: Ashok, Chet - OASIS, Kevin Mangold (NIST), Patrick, jacques

20160129 (last edited 2016-02-08 18:05:50 by chet.ensign)