=============================================================

Minutes TAB call (July 14, 2016)

=============================================================

Info

Time: 2pmET

Dial:

Host confcall: OASIS

US Toll Free: +1 641 715-3822

Chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/tab

Agenda

1) Roll call, approval of agenda

2) Status of public reviews

NEW item 3) Responses to Robin's request on github for TCs

NEW item 4) Responses to Board annual report outline

5) Potential projects for 2016/2017

6) Reorganize, consolidate existing TAB documents

7) Starting self-cert effort for CTI TC / TOSCA TC

8) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Attending: Ashok, Chet, Kevin, Jacques, Patrick, Robin.

- Approval of agenda

No discussion of agenda as revised. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda as amended approved.

- No minutes to approve

2) Status of public reviews

No 30 day public reviews underway now.

Two upcoming first reviews: OSLC Core (from OSLC Core TC) and CybOX (from CTI TC). CybOX in 94 parts. CybOX working draft located at working draft at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=58109&wg_abbrev=cti-cybox

3) Responses to Robin's request on github for TCs

Robin recapped the topic. OASIS wants to support TCs ability to use Github in addition to / in place of SVN. This is much requested by members.

Discussed in particular how to address issues that get opened by non-TC members. Robin has added text to the issue template saying "By posting this issue, I confirm my agreement to the terms of the OASIS Feedback License, covering this comment and any subsequent comments posted to this OASIS repository."

Question: did TAB have a preference for including a check box on that or simply including the text. Discussed pros and cons and alternate solutions (e.g. put in a different place on the form).

Consensus that OASIS should welcome the opportunity to get more comments and feedback on TC work. So long as we think the notification is sufficient, we should avoid adding anything that even incrementally raises barriers. As Patrick put it: "Let's welcome comments and do our best to make the them easy to supply."

TAB is fully in favor of this as a way to welcome comments. We prefer just having the statement visible and not requiring a check from the commenter. We have some other ways there to handle the declaration and if one of them works better, that's great.

4) Responses to Board annual report outline

Reviewed outline for annual report. Based on work plan list so even though we did not make progress on conformance clause action, we still need to address that in the report. Suggestion that we include our review of ISO 9000 materials with a thank you to Scott. Patrick agreed to get PR numbers to include. Chet target is to send to Board next Wednesday.

5) Potential projects for 2016/2017

Reviewed the proposed issues outlined in https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201606/msg00029.html

Discussed changes: 1) add reorg existing TAB documents as an in-process carryover; 2) add conformance clauses as a carryover; 3) change item on JIRA to Git or to managing standards development project issues generally (e.g. propose a workflow); 4) host a TAB github sandbox where people could experiment.

Asked if items should come off? Self-cert? There is still interest. Perhaps TAB could help with finding/evaluating a service provider.

Agreed that we cannot do everything on this list. Agreed to present to Board as our ideas and invite their feedback.

6) Reorganize, consolidate existing TAB documents

7) Starting self-cert effort for CTI TC / TOSCA TC

8) AOB

Next meeting is the annual face-to-face in Burlington, July 27 - 29.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Chet Ensign, 20 July 2016.

Chat log

Chet: Agenda: 1) Roll call, approval of agenda

2) Status of public reviews

NEW item 3) Responses to Robin's request on github for TCs

NEW item 4) Responses to Board annual report outline

5) Potential projects for 2016/2017

4) Reorganize, consolidate existing TAB documents

5) Starting self-cert effort for CTI TC / TOSCA TC

6) AOB
Chet: Attending: Patrick, Ashok, Kevin, Robin,
Chet: Agenda - no disc - no objs - approved
Chet: no mintues to approve
Chet: 2) status or public reviews
Chet: none now
Chet: Coming - CybOX
Chet: new item #3 - Robin's github
Robin: "GitHub for OASIS TCs, proposal to use GitHub issues for public comment" - https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201607/msg00023.html
Chet: Jacques joings
Chet: Robin recaps - regarding planned support for TCs to use Git and Github for their TCs in addition to / in place of SVN
Chet: Much requested by members
Chet: A: wouldn't it be cleaner to have 1 github per TC? R: no really. one reason is operationally - if stuff moves from SVN to github it is frequently require multiple projects. also cleaner for keeping issues / project together. W3C spins up a github for every different specification as a single project. A: so a TC could have several? R: yes
Robin: By posting this issue, I confirm my agreement to the terms of the OASIS Feedback License, covering this comment and any subsequent comments posted to this OASIS repository
Chet: Chet: waht about checkbox versus just the teext declaration?
Chet: Chet: could the declaration appear at the bottom of the window?
Chet: P: is it possible for the template to have parts - distinct textual elements - so they are typing their comment in one box but the declaration is not cluttering up the issue record.
Chet: ?
Chet: Kevin: if the declaration is part of the issue text is it possible for someone to just remove that text? Robin: I didn't try that because I assumed the answer is 'yes.' assume if they do that, someone from the TC can just go back and ask them to add it back in.
Robin: Patrick: could the template be constructed to include display of declaration but not publish the decl
Chet: A: have we asked Jamie about check mark versus just staetment? C: yes, Jamie is involved in this discussion.
Chet: P: this is a usability question - not a question of us trapping someone into contributing IP. And anything we do that even incrementally adds to the burden. If you frame it as "do we want feedback" - anything that we do that gets in the way contradicts that.
Chet: P: let's welcome comments and do our best to make the comment easy to supply
Chet: R: +1 - teh declaration is already going to look foreign to some users
Chet: Consensus: we are fully in favor of this as a way to welcome comments. We prefer just having the statement visible and not requiring a check from the commenter. We have some other ways there to handle the declaration and if one of them works better, that's great.
Chet: #4 - outline of annual report
Chet: A: one question - regarding conformance for non-implementable - mention that we reviewed the ISO 9000 stuff w/ thanks to Scott. also say that we're still working on it.
Chet: Patrick to get info on public reviews to chet by next wednesday
jacques (Fujitsu): note: I have a conflict with another meeting - so may not be very responsive...
Chet: 5 - potential proejcts for next year
Chet: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201606/msg00029.html
Chet: - Prepare an editors handbook for producing OASIS work products.

- Prepare a chairs handbook for successfully running OASIS TCs

- Gather feedback on/make proposals on what tools / capabilities that could help TCs work better

- Do a deep dive into the PR feedback to TCs and see what recommendations we can make - common problems that can be avoided, observations on TC handling of feedback, etc.

- Propose a tool-chain for spec processing that could speed up flow for TC work products - if there are tools that TCs could be using (e.g. link checkers)

- Continue involvement in self-certification initiatives - CTI? TOSCA?

- Ideas for more that we could do with bringing / encouraging open source work to start up at OASIS?

- Draft proposal on how github could be used for documentation and 'continuous public review'

- Host the OASIS ReSpec customization on a TAB Open Repo project

- Propose best practices for using JIRA as part of the development of a specification
Chet: A: - add reorg existing TAB documents as an in-process carry over item
Chet: also add the conform clauses as a carry over
Chet: P: last item on JIRA - do we really want to do that or rather focus on github issue tracking
Chet: let's change it from JIRA to Github - define a workflow for specs? document workflow
Chet: P: is there anyway for OASIS to host a Github sandbox
Chet: P: that TCs could go experiment / play in
Chet: R: we would have to create it and remove it periodically because Github does such a good job of keeping a record of things. P: maybe we could script it so that it gets redone every day.
Chet: R: great idea
Chet: R: we should look into doing that
Chet: Chet: asks if I should take any off
Chet: P: what about self-cert - do we really want to work on that?
Chet: A: intersted in staying involved - it will be useful to OASIS to have someone involved
Chet: P: then if OASIS is going to spin up infrastructure - is CTI going to be willing to pony up the $$
Chet: A: good question - oen of hte places where we can help by asking the right question s
Chet: Perhaps TAB could help w/ finding 3rd party partner
Chet: Present this to the Board as a work in progress and invite their feedback
Chet: 4) Reorganize, consolidate existing TAB documents

Chet: J: when I say all over hte place do i mean physical storage location?
Chet: Chet: yes - they are physically in different locations, with different formats and different metadata
Chet: J: we want to be careful not to compound the problem when we try to fix it
Chet: J: not easy to reconcile having several different formats
Chet: J: 2 issues - the actual way to organize and store documents and the formats that we allow
Chet: https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/interoperability-guidelines
Chet: http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html
Chet: J: ok - can see how we sort of fell into this over the years.
Chet: C: let's plan to tackle this in Burlington
Sent transcript to: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org

20160714 (last edited 2016-07-20 15:43:06 by chet.ensign)