Subject: Draft minutes TAB meeting 21 April 2017 with action items

=============================================================

Minutes TAB call (April 21, 2017)

=============================================================

Info

Time: 3pmET

Dial:

Host confcall: OASIS

US Toll Free: +1 641 715-3822

Chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/tab

=== Action items open / assigned in meeting ===

- OLD - Chet: make final edits to conformance clause draft, convert to HTML, and load to the library.

- Chet - get list of chairs, secretaries and email addresses for Kevin

- Kevin - send query to chairs (directly, not via chairs@ list) asking for suggestions / input to editors handbook

- Chet - send ranking email for Open Standards Cup nominees

=== Agenda ===

1) Roll call

2) Approval of agenda

3) Approval of minutes April 7th

4) Status of public reviews

5) Status of open action items

6) Plan upcoming work items for rest of 2017 to 2018

7) Discuss Standards Cup nominees

8 ) Discuss outline of Editor's Handbook

9) Discuss idea of best practices for collaborative editing tools

10) Discuss areas for improvement in links from OASIS web site

11) AOB

=== Minutes ===

1) Roll Call

Kevin, Patrick, Chet, Ashok

2) Approval of Agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections to approval. Agenda approved.

3) Approval of minutes April 7th

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201704/msg00025.html

No discussion of minutes. No objections to approval. Minutes approved.

4) Status of public reviews

No current first round public reviews that need review. No upcoming first public reviews in the TC Admin queue.

5) Status of open action items

- Chet: write up blurbs for Open Stnds Cup nominees and send to TAB
Done. Closed

- Chet: make final edits to conformance clause draft, convert to HTML, and load to the library.
OPEN

- Ashok: check for material at the W3C that could help us with an editors handbook
Done. Closed

- Chet: check terms of use for Google Docs. Proceed w/ starting the outline of an editor's handbook as a Google Doc
Done. Closed

6) Plan upcoming work items for rest of 2017 to 2018

Chet noted debate within CTI Interoperability SC now going on about whether or not a TC ought to be in the position of reviewing test results and declaring whether or not an implementation of a spec passes. Could be a sign that self-certification will return as an active project.

Consensus that Chairs Handbook, Editors Handbook are high priority. Consensus that best practices for collaborative editing is valuable.

Kevin suggested reaching out to chairs to ask for input - topics that would be helpful, tips they had discovered, etc. Kevin to draft query note and send to chairs. Chet to get list of chairs, secretaries and email addresses for direct contact.

7) Discuss Standards Cup nominees

Chet explained that MQTT is listed for rechartering. OSLC Domains is a new TC working within the OSLC Member Section.

Agreement that there is enough information on the nominees in the email to proceed. Chet to send TAB members a ranking email that Jacques can then process.

8 ) Discuss outline of Editor's Handbook

Chet put the outline up as a Google Doc. Asked if the major sections outlined look right.

Ashok asked if we should make recommendations on the content, e.g. tell editors what ought to be in the introduction to a spec. Agreement that that is appropriate.

Discussion about using chairs as our point of contact. Chet notes that it is easy to find the chairs for a TC. Finding the editors requires actually looking at documents.

9 ) Collaborative tools

Chet recapped the growing use of collaborate editing tools and why we need to provide guidance.

Discussion about whether or not it is important to make working drafts publicly visible. Is the fact that a draft is created as a Google Doc any different than a draft created in Word or Open Office on someone's desktop? Ashok suggests that there is no need to require works in progress to be made publicly visible. For example, if work is going on on a hot topic, would we want to create a situation that forces it out into the open before those working on the doc can come up with a proposal? Another scenario: what if something goes into a draft and then the editors take it back out. If the draft has been in view all along, someone might then cry foul because they already started working on it.

Patrick notes that only making a doc visible when the editors are ready, isn't a radical change. It would be the same now with any word processing draft; it is not public until loaded into Kavi.

Patrick notes that the number of people we can get to read our docs is small enough as it is. So perhaps the guidance should be more along the lines of "every 45 days or so upload a draft to Kavi." That gets you tracking of the doc.

10) Discuss areas for improvement in links from OASIS web site

Tabled for lack of time.

10) AOB

No other business raised.

Next meeting is on 05 May 2017 at 3:00 PM EDT. Minutes submitted on 26 April 2017 by Chet Ensign.

=== Chat log ===

Chet: Today's agenda:
Chet: 1) Roll call

2) Approval of agenda

3) Approval of minutes April 7th

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201704/msg00025.html

4) Status of public reviews

Key Management Interoperability Protocol Test Cases Version 1.4
KMIP Usage Guide Version 1.4
Key Management Interoperability Protocol Profiles Version 1.4
End May 16th

5) Status of open action items

- Chet: write up blurbs for Open Stnds Cup nominees and send to TAB

- Chet: make final edits to conformance clause draft, convert to HTML, and load to the library.

- Ashok: check for material at the W3C that could help us with an editors handbook

- Chet: check terms of use for Google Docs. Proceed w/ starting the outline of an editor's handbook as a Google Doc

6) Plan upcoming work items for rest of 2017 to 2018

7) Discuss Standards Cup nominees

9) Discuss areas for improvement in links from OASIS web site

10) AOB
Chet: Attending: Ashok, Patrick, Kevin
Chet: Talking about CTI Interoperability SC discussion of whether or not a TC *should* be in the position of deciding on self-cert
Chet: 2. Agenda
Chet: no disc, no obj, agenda appvd
Chet: 3. Minutes
Chet: no disc, no obj, minutes approved
Chet: 4. Status of public review
Chet: No need to get involved
Chet: No others upcoming
Chet: 5. status of action items
Chet: - Chet: write up blurbs for Open Stnds Cup nominees and send to TAB
Closed
Chet: Chet: make final edits to conformance clause draft, convert to HTML, and load to the library.
Still open
Chet: - Ashok: check for material at the W3C that could help us with an editors handbook
Closed
Chet: - Chet: check terms of use for Google Docs. Proceed w/ starting the outline of an editor's handbook as a Google Doc
Closed
Chet: 6 upcoming work for rest of 2017
Chet: Chet: top priorities - editors handbook and collaborative editing advice
Chet: Ashok: also the chair's manual
Chet: Kevin: for editor's handbook - reach out to all chairs and ask what they'd like in it - like top 3 things - or tips or tricks.
Chet: AI
Chet: Kevin will draft
Chet: Patrick: some people just don't respond to all the email they get from OASIS. So better if it is seen as coming from Kevin directly
Chet: Chet to see if I can get email addresses for all the chairs individually
Chet: Chet: also send for 30 day PR
Chet: 7. Standards cup
Chet: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201704/msg00037.html
Chet: Question - is there enough in the email to rank them
Chet: Kevin - yes
Chet: Ashok - yes
Chet: Chet - prep a ballot that we can fill out and send to Jacques
Chet: A: for the first category, MQTT and OSLC older tc yes.
Chet: C: MQTT yes - rechartered. OSLC Domains - new
Chet: 8 ) outline of the editori's handbook
Chet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10s_66FDOq-3-6TxlJ_qs3Rq3HSGdFunzYnaTs6nT6Uo/edit
Chet: Ashok: - should we for example tell editors what ought to be in their introduction
Chet: Patrick - why ask chairs - Kevin - they are our point of contact
Chet: Chairs are very addressable in our system - editors not so much - so chairs need to be our poitn of contact
Chet: 9 ) Collaborative tools
Chet: Chet = recaps why I came up with this.
Chet: Ashok - I don't see the value of making works in progress publicly visible.
Chet: A: just imagine a hot topic with lots of comments and debate on the doc - do we want to hold it back from public view until those are ironed out
Chet: A: another issue - we start thinking about a feature and put it in the doc for consideration - but then we change our mind and take it out. But now people have seen it and want to know where it went.
Chet: A: so maybe we should only make it public
Chet: P: isn't that a radical change - any draft loaded into Kavi is public now
Chet: P: the number of poeople we can get to read our docs are small enough as is
Chet: P: more of a practical issue that if you're using outside tools - say hey, every 45 days or so upload a draft to Kavi as a working draft
Chet: P: that gets you tracking of the doc
Chet: P: gives us some kind of reasonable back up and public visibility
Chet: Kevin: +1 to what Patrick said
Chet: C: any other elements ?

Sent transcript to: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org

20170421 (last edited 2017-04-26 15:35:55 by chet.ensign)