=============================================================

Minutes TAB face-to-face meeting (July 26 - 28, 2017)

=============================================================

Action items assigned

- New AI: Chet to convert the Minutes Best Practices memo to MS Word and Open Office or PDF and distribute to chairs@ mailing list.

- New AI: Notify chairs to share with their TCs our observation that hyperlinks done by cross-reference in MS Office or Open Office do not export to HTML or PDF. Only those done by hyperlinks to bookmarks work in all formats.

- New AI: Send candidate 2017 / 2018 work items to TAB for further discussion

Wednesday 26 July 2017

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Complete TAB status update for Board

4) Complete Meeting Minutes Best Practices memo

5) Inventory & review accessibility of TAB material

6) Work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

7) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Ashok (remote), Chet, Jacques, Kevin, Patrick (remote)

2) Approve agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda approved.

3) Complete TAB status update for Board

We completed the slides and loaded them to the Board's meeting folder. The slides can be retrieved at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/61325/TAB-annual-report-07-27-2017.pptx

4) Complete Meeting Minutes Best Practices memo

We made final edits and unanimously approved releasing the memo by sending it to the chairs@ mailing list.

Action item to Chet: Convert the memo to MS Word and Open Office or PDF and distribute to chairs@ mailing list.

5) Inventory & review accessibility of TAB material

Agreed to table and address as a 2017/2018 work item.

6) Work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

Resumed work on the document.

7) AOB

No other business raised. Adjourned at 4:45 PM.

Thursday 27 July 2017

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Continue work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

4) Present TAB status report to Board

5) TAB size and scope discussion by Board

6) Continue work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

7) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Ashok (remote), Chet, Jacques, Kevin, Patrick (remote)

2) Approve agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda approved.

3) Continue work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

Work continued on document.

Noted the advice that hyperlinks done by cross-reference in MS Office or Open Office do not export to HTML or PDF. Action item to Chet to report this to chairs immediately.

4) Present TAB status report to Board

Update presented to Board. Board thanked TAB members for continued good work. No questions or concerns raised.

5) TAB size and scope discussion by Board

TAB participated in discussion about the size of the TAB.

6) Continue work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

Work continued on document.

7) AOB

No other business raised. Adjourned at 5:00.

Friday 28 July 2017

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Introductions for new TAB member Stefan Hagen

4) Draft 2017 / 2018 TAB work plan recommendations

5) Work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

6) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Ashok (remote), Chet, Jacques, Kevin, Patrick (remote), Stefan (remote)

2) Approve agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda approved.

3) Introductions for new TAB member Stefan Hagen

Stefan joined by phone. Introduced himself, his background and his interests to TAB members. He mentioned some areas of interest including how to increase member satisfaction with tools and processes and how to help increase efficiency and automation at OASIS since our high-touch cultural, while appreciated, can't scale up. TAB members introduced themselves to Stefan.

4) Draft 2017 / 2018 TAB work plan recommendations

Prepared preliminary list of possible work items:

- Draft advice to TCs on how to use collaborative editing tools

- Provide input/requirements?/testing/documentation on the new OASIS IT tools and interface

- Complete Editors guide

- Draft Chairs best practices guide

- Support the self-cert undertaking in the CTI and LegalDocML TCs

- Develop an OASIS master citation list to match the lists for IETF and W3C

- Develop presentation that TAB members could make to TCs during their early meetings

- Develop ideas for supporting / mentoring TC editors at the beginning of their work

- Consider proposing steps beyond simple checklists that can help promote spec quality (e.g. encourage more use of test assertion documents)

- Clean up the TAB homepage and documents

- Find areas where we can automate tasks to help members / staff increase productivity (e.g. generating the text of announcements, ballots, templates)

- Provide advice / guidance on citations (e.g. how do you cite to something that itself is not normative such as the YAML language?)

- What might the TAB do using an open source project? (e.g. invite active members to come give us input on documents? Host alternate publishing toolkits like Ken Holman's DocBook publishing package or Jim Amsden's ReSpec OASIS customization? Develop a citation list in GitHub? - this last one I don't recall the specifics)

- Build a database of the citation data to feed into editorial tools - e.g. fill in the metadata, hit submit, the starter document downloads immediately or to feed TC pages with dashboard-type material on their work products. Similar to how you can get the citation data provided by ISO or IEEE

- Continue ongoing 1st public review comments

Action item to Chet to put this in a list and circulate to TAB for consideration.

Goal to have work item proposal before Board one week ahead of their next call.

5) Work on draft Editor's Best Practices document

Continued work on the document.

6) AOB

No other business raised. Meeting adjourned at 12:00.

The next TAB meeting will be held by teleconference on 11 August 2017 at 19:00 UTC, 3:00 PM US eastern, 9:00 PM Cophenhagen.

Minutes submitted 02 August 2017 by Chet Ensign.

20170726 (last edited 2017-08-02 19:34:26 by chet.ensign)