=============================================================

Minutes TAB call (August 25, 2017)

=============================================================

Action items

- Chet to send cleaned up list of tasks to Board for comment

- Chet - update template and share with TAB

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of public reviews

5) Status of action items

6) Review / work on work plan for 2017 / 2018

7) Discuss UI Testing

8) Modify templates to add RFC 8174 along with RFC 2119

9) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Jacques Durand
Patrick Durusau
Chet Ensign
Stefan Hagen

Invited expert:
Ashok Malhotra

Absent:
Kevin Mangold

2) Approve agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections to unanimous approval. Agenda approved.

3) Approve minutes:

Minutes of 11 August 2017: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00048.html

No discussion of minutes. No objections to unanimous approval. Minutes approved.

4) Status of public reviews

MQTT Version 5.0 CSPRD01 - ends 08 September 2017. Patrick agreed to coordinate getting comments to TC.

5) Status of action items

- Kevin to check with NIST UI group to see if they have tools or techniques to offer for getting UI feedback.
Complete and closed. To discuss during meeting.

- Chet to send around revised draft of 2017 work plan
Complete and closed. To discuss during meeting.

6) Review / work on work plan for 2017 / 2018

Latest draft at https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00070.html.

Consensus that the strategic options are fine.

Discussed Tactical item to "build a citation list." Discussed possibility of using Google Sheets to accomplish the goal. Discussed what stages of work we might track and noted that some data from standards page will need cleaning up. Jacques volunteered to demo his use of Google Sheets as a simple database at the next meeting. Agreed that the language in the current draft is fine.

Discussed Tactical item to "take steps to support TCs and editors." Consensus that there are a number of work we could do under that heading. Agreed that the revised language in the current draft is fine.

All are satisfied with rest of language. Agreed to send the cleaned up draft with new language to the Board for review.

AI - Chet to create a clean draft of the work plan and send it to the Board.

7) Discuss UI Testing

We tabled the issue until Kevin gets back.

8) Modify templates to add RFC 8174 along with RFC 2119

Question was asked by Bret Jordan about replacing 2119 in OASIS template with 8174. Consensus that we need both; RFC 8174 clarifies RFC 2119.

Stefan noted that we should make sure other work product templates - DocBook, DITA - are updated as well. Suggests that we should have all the respective templates in one location for ease of maintenance.

AI - Chet to incorporate 8174 into TC Admin work product template and send to TAB for review at our next meeting.

9) AOB

No other items were broad up.

Jacque volunteered to demo his Google Sheet application on the next TAB call. Agreed to move the meeting to Thursday Sept. 7th and set up a Webex.

Next meeting will be Thursday, September 7th at 19:00 UTC / 3:00 PM US eastern daylight savings time.

Minutes submitted by Chet Ensign on 29 August 2017.

Chat log

ChetE: Agenda for today's call:
ChetE: 1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes:

- 21 August 2017: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00048.html

4) Status of public reviews

MQTT Version 5.0 CSPRD01 - ends 08 September 2017

5) Status of action items

- Kevin to check with NIST UI group to see if they have tools or techniques to offer for getting UI feedback.

- Chet to send around revised draft of 2017 work plan

6) Review / work on work plan for 2017 / 2018

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00070.html

7) Discuss UI Testing

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00065.html
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00066.html
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201708/msg00067.html

7) AOB

Stefan: Here

ChetE: Attending: Stefan, Ashok, Jacques, Chet
ChetE: 1. Agenda - no disc, no obj, agenda approved
ChetE: 2. Minutes approved
ChetE: 3. Public reviews

Patrick: err, on call?

ChetE: Yes we are.
ChetE: US Toll Free: +1 641 715-3822
Denmark: +45 78 77 25 34

Access code: 226238
Host code: 4192
ChetE: MQTT 30 day PR is still the only one open
ChetE: Patrick joins
ChetE: Patrick will coordinate comments for MQTT
ChetE: 4. Action items
ChetE: - Kevin to check with NIST UI group to see if they have tools or techniques to offer for getting UI feedback.
ChetE: Closed
ChetE: - Chet to send around revised draft of 2017 work plan
ChetE: Closed
ChetE: 5. Review work plan
ChetE: 2017 / 2018 TAB work plan

Strategic

- Support staff in the development of the new OASIS IT tools and interfaces

- Support staff with the self-cert undertaking in the CTI and LegalDocML TCs

Tactical

- Develop a master citation list to track OASIS work product progress and act as a master citation list for OASIS Standards and Committee Specifications (similar to W3C and IETF lists)

- Find opportunities to automate tasks to help members / staff increase productivity (e.g. generating the text of announcements, ballots, templates)

- Take steps to support TCs and editors get started on a good footing (e.g. presentations to TCs during their first meetings; offer office-hour-type meetings with editors)

Guidance / Best Practices:

- Complete the OASIS Editor's manual

- Draft OASIS Chairs manual

- Draft advice to TCs on how to use collaborative editing tools

- Review / reorganize TAB homepage and TAB documents

Ongoing

- Comments to TCs on 1st public review

- Maintain W3C and IETF citation master lists

ChetE: Jacques: Google Sheets for the citation / tracking list
ChetE: Can demo remotely via webex at a future meeting
ChetE: Google has a nice API for querying the sheet
ChetE: Patrick: 2 things - re master citation list tracking work product process - would we track all those drafts? -- the 2nd thing - hesitant about the current list of standards because some of them aren't - names aren't what is on the actual document e.g. - not all the data is clean -
ChetE: Chet - point taken - we could use it to clean it up
ChetE: Milestones could be when TCs asked TCA to do sometihng
ChetE: Stefan - it couild help the website look more active - today often looks dead because things aren't updated.
ChetE: Part of the problem is that we are slow to automate steps like admin requests to get things going faster
ChetE: If we don't track a core set of activites who will do it?
ChetE: In favor of tracking and would support it.
ChetE: Ashok: Concern that a spread sheet is not the right tool to support something like this?
ChetE: Patrick: sure - imaging a simple table.
ChetE: A: so maybe don't catalog every draft but only the major milestone drafts
ChetE: E.g. public review drafts
ChetE: Jacques: queries are key. each row in the db is an event. seems like Google Sheets will alllow us to do that.
ChetE: A: what about the question about 1 TC with a lot of drafts versus 1 with a few?
ChetE: Chet: the raw spread sheet would never be shown to membership. It would only be seen by staff. Views would be generated from it for contextual views by TC, most recent public reviews, etc.
ChetE: So is this wording ok? "- Develop a master citation list to track OASIS work product progress and act as a master citation list for OASIS Standards and Committee Specifications (similar to W3C and IETF lists)
ChetE: Go with that wording.
ChetE: Next -> - Take steps to support TCs and editors get started on a good footing (e.g. presentations to TCs during their first meetings; offer office-hour-type meetings with editors)

Stefan: Stefan likes this

ChetE: Go with that wording as well
ChetE: Automating steps
ChetE: Stefan - yes this is something we should have - achieve something concrete
ChetE: AI - Chet to send cleaned up list of tasks to Board for comment
ChetE: ** Modify templates to add RFC 8174 along with RFC 2119
ChetE: Stefan: all in favor of that step because it eliminates a lack of clarity

Patrick: For public reviews, need to extract keywords to check upper versus lower case - and question TC if they switch between them.

ChetE: Stefan: wouldn't it be useful to collect all the options for editorial source - DITA, DocBook, etc.
ChetE: Shouldn't that be an OASIS offering?
ChetE: Patrick: we'll need to make note of it as a check in our PRs
ChetE: ... so that we check for it in TAB reviews
ChetE: AI - Chet - update template and share with TAB
ChetE: AOB - Jacques - can we do a webex for the next meeting to show Google Sheets?
ChetE: Yes
ChetE: So move next meeting to Thursday Sept 7th at 3:00
ChetE: Ashok: can you remind us like Tuesday? Yes

Sent transcript to: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org

20170825 (last edited 2017-08-29 21:25:14 by chet.ensign)