=============================================================

Minutes TAB call (October 19, 2017)

=============================================================

Action items

AI to Chet: send Stefan Excel spreadsheet and OS standards HTML file
AI to Chet: send Jacques suggestion on what would be good to pull from the data
AI to Chet: send ideas for how we could use an intern to help extract and clean up data, write Java for HTML standards page, etc. to Scott
AI to Stefan: extract data from the HTML of the OASIS Standards page
AI to Stefan: send info to Chet on Atlassian enhancements that make the tools more pleasant to use
AI to Chet: get more information on Causeway product for the TAB
AI to Chet: to check with Jamie to see if we can get an introduction to someone at IETF familiar with why they adopted DOIs for their work products we could talk with.

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of public reviews

5) DOIs for OASIS Standards

6) Progress on OASIS specifications Google sheet

7) Continue work on editor's manual

8 ) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Jacques Durand
Patrick Durusau
Chet Ensign
Stefan Hagen

Regrets:
Kevin Mangold

Invited expert:
Ashok Malhotra

Meeting had quorum.

2) Approve agenda
Chet suggested a new item #7 to show the TAB the Altassian prototype for Open Projects. No objections to approving agenda as amended. Agenda approved.

3) 3) Approve minutes

Sept. 7, 2017: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201709/msg00028.html
No discussion of minutes. No objections to approval. Minutes approved.

Sept. 29, 2017: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201710/msg00019.html
No discussion of minutes. No objections to approval. Minutes approved.

4) Status of public reviews

Only open review - ECF v5.0: https://www.oasis-open.org/news/announcements/invitation-to-comment-on-legalxml-electronic-court-filing-v5-0-ends-nov-27th - 60 day review ends Nov. 27th. Patrick coordinating comments.

5) DOIs for OASIS Standards

In response to https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201710/msg00004.html

None of us have direct experience with DOIs.

Jacques noted the DOI FAQ at https://www.doi.org/faq.html.

Patrick notes that it is an ISO Standard. Also, IETF has recently started adding DOIs to their citations but has no background on it.

Discussion about potential benefits of adopting them.

AI: Chet to check with Jamie to see if we can get an introduction to someone at IETF familiar with why they adopted DOIs for their work products we could talk with to learn about how they benefited from it and what the level of effort was.

6) Progress on OASIS specifications Google sheet

Stefan had tasks at work that took priority. Plans to come back to the standards HTML page next week. Notes some errors in the HTML that the browser forgives but that have crept in because it is hand-written. Some data normalization will be needed.

Jacques and Stefan discuss deciding on the content model that can handle all of the content, e.g. a few columns added to handle multi-part publications

Jacques notes that he will probably use XSLT to produce the query screens.

7) Atlassian prototype demo

Chet demonstrated the Open Project prototype on Atlassian. Discussion about openness and the extent that we can build on top of the repositories.

We looked at formatting options available in OP JIRA as opposed to current TC instance. More formatting controls enabled - especially ability to format for code. Stefan notes that it would be good if improvements like that in the tools from the Open Projects could be extended to the tool set used by TCs. Right now, with JIRA limited, it feels a bit like being a second hand citizen.

Stefan also notes that it would be ideal if we could use some of the add-ons such as the one for UML rendering in a Confluence page.

Open question: can we test the impact of upgrading our existing TC JIRA instance to see if turning on formatting would have a bad impact.

8) Continue work on editor's manual.

This was tabled to the next meeting.

9) AOB

Stefan noted that he will attend Borderless Cyber in Prague. Looking forward to meeting Carol and any others who are there. Chet passed this along to Carol.

The next meeting will be Friday, 10 November 2017 at 3:00 PM EST. Note that this will be after Daylight Savings has ended in North America.

Minutes submitted by Chet Ensign on 31 October 2017.

Chat log

ChetE: Today's proposed agenda:

ChetE: 1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes
Sept. 7, 2017: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201709/msg00028.html

Sept. 29, 2017: url forthcoming

4) Status of public reviews
ECF v5.0: https://www.oasis-open.org/news/announcements/invitation-to-comment-on-legalxml-electronic-court-filing-v5-0-ends-nov-27th - 60 day review ends Nov. 27th

5) DOIs for OASIS Standards
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201710/msg00004.html

6) Progress on OASIS specifications Google sheet

7) Continue work on editor's manual
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10s_66FDOq-3-6TxlJ_qs3Rq3HSGdFunzYnaTs6nT6Uo/edit#

8 ) AOB
ChetE: I am getting set up on Webex
ChetE: Hi Jacques. Webex info if you need it:

Stefan Hagen: Voting Members: 3 of 5 (60%) (used for quorum calculation) we are quorate in case the TC analogy carries that far ...

ChetE: Chet suggests new #7 - Atlassian prototype
ChetE: Agenda - no objs - agenda approved
ChetE: Minutes
ChetE: Minutes from 9/7: no disc, no objs. minutes approved
ChetE: Minutes from 9/29: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201710/msg00019.html
ChetE: No disc, no objs - minutes approved
ChetE: PRs - no action needed
ChetE: 5) DOIs and OASIS Standards
ChetE: No experience w/ DOIs. Stefan is a *user* of the DOI.
ChetE: Ashok - what is the advantage?

Stefan Hagen: @Chet: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201710/msg00004.html gives me a HTTP/404 ...
Stefan Hagen: ISO 26324:2012 defines the syntax for a DOI name, which is used for the identification of an object of any material form (digital or physical) or ...

ChetE: Do not know if DOIs are used by other SDOs
ChetE: Patrick: the IETF DOIs are recent addition

Jacques D(Fujitsu): DOI FAQ: https://www.doi.org/faq.html

ChetE: Patrick: it is an ISO standad

Stefan Hagen: Sample provided at doi.org: http://www.doi.org/ISO_Standard/sc9n475.pdf

ChetE: AI: Chet to talk to Jamie to see if we can get a contact at the IETF to find when why how they implemented the DOI for RFCs
ChetE: Ashok: are we agreed that this is helpful and worth the effort?
ChetE: 6) Progress on OASIS specifications Google sheet
ChetE: Stefan - started and can come back to it next week...
ChetE: Also - some odd references in it - can help us with the content model
ChetE: Jacques: be good to get a preview of the output e.g. of the spread sheet. Stefan: yes - maybe with a few columns added to handle multi-part publications
ChetE: S: e.g. OData where we changed the number of parts from one release to the next
ChetE: Jacques: that will help me build, for example, a script that can query all the parts of a work product
ChetE: J: I'll probably use XSLT to produce.
ChetE: S: I noted a number of errors that the browser forgives but that have crept in because it is hand-written
ChetE: S: so I've read many things that have done things in the cells that are inconsistent
ChetE: S: so we need to figure that out.
ChetE: #7 - Atlassian prototype

Stefan Hagen: https://projects.oasis-open.org/display/ds/Doing+Things
Stefan Hagen: or ... https://projects.oasis-open.org/spaces/createrssfeed.action?types=page&spaces=ds&maxResults=15&title=[Demonstration+Space]+Pages+Feed&publicFeed=false&os_authType=basic
Stefan Hagen: Meeting adjourned

ChetE: Notes from the discussion about the Atlassian prototype
ChetE: Chet demoed the Swizzle Stick prototype open project
ChetE: Jacques asked about openness - could the repository be queried - it will be good to know the extent that we can go with that.
ChetE: Chet: I'll ask about APIs to the Atlassian tools
ChetE: Stefan: Not open but not an issue - it all works well together.
ChetE: S: Now that we're getting the good tools for Open Projects, I hope it doesn't come into conflict with the other OASIS tools - e.g. the Github Open Repos. Hope we can avoid having people get into debates over the tools instead of over the programs themselves.
ChetE: S: Hopes that we can use some of the add-ons for things like UML rendering in a Confluence page. E.g. on UML would much rather see an editable model in the page that can be rendered (and edited and re-rendered) instead of a static graphic.
ChetE: We looked at the formatting options available in JIRA comments and it looks like a better set is available here than on OASIS current JIRA install. E.g. you have the option in the comment to format code.
ChetE: Can we do a test of the impact of upgrading on our existing JIRA implementation? If people can't get good results from our current tools then no wonder they are going to wander off to Github. It feels like being a second hand citizen right now.
ChetE: Next meeting will be Friday, November 10 at 3:00 PM
ChetE: AOB: Stefan notes that he will be in Prague at Borderless Cyber. Looking forward to meeting Carol and any others who are there.

20171019 (last edited 2017-10-31 20:09:23 by chet.ensign)