Minutes TAB call (January 12, 2018)

=============================================================

Action items

- AI Chet: draft message inviting feedback on first 3 sections of editor's handbook

- AI Everyone: review Stefan's last version of the spread sheet and provide feedback on the columns/fields versus the information available in the standards table

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of action items

5) Progress on the editor's manual

6) Progress on the Google sheet

7) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Jacques Durand
Patrick Durusau
Chet Ensign
Stefan Hagen

Invited expert:
Ashok Malhotra

Invited guest:
Trey Darley

Meeting had quorum.

2) Approve agenda

No discussion. No objections. Agenda approved.

3) Approve minutes

Minutes 11/17/17 meeting: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201712/msg00009.html
Minutes 12/1/17 meeting: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201712/msg00010.html

No discussion of minutes. No objections to unanimous approval of both. Minutes approved.

4) Status of action items

- AI Chet: add TAB Kavi group to Atlassian development project
Completed. Closed.

5) Progress on editor's manual

We discussed progress on the editor's handbook. Group is agreed that we should continue on with Google docs for now. Discussed possibly transferring to markdown on Github at some point in the future.

Trey suggested possible new work item for TAB: codify Committee Spec template in markdown in a way that could be used to build both documentation and code. Stefan notes that one of the TCs he is on is wrestling with getting JSON code samples properly back into the documentation.

Discussed other types of support editors and chairs might need, for example, procedural help to chairs. Stefan would like to try the TAB open office hours idea.

Group agrees that we can open up first three sections for feedback. Contact everyone who provided us with feedback originally plus chairs@ mailing list. Note in the message that more is coming, specifically tips on drafting.

Action item - Chet to draft message and share with TAB, then send out.

6) Progress on the Google sheet

Discussion about the latest example. Jacques demonstrated the standards (AMQP through DITA) in the HTML web page that supports querying and display of some analytics.

7) AOB

No other business raised.

Next meeting will be 26 January 2018 at 3:00 eastern time.

Minutes submitted 22 January 2018 by Chet Ensign

Chat log

Preliminary agenda:

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of action items

5) Progress on the editor's manual

6) Progress on the Google sheet

7) AOB

anonymous1 morphed into Patrick
anonymous morphed into Trey Darley

Chet: Attending: Patrick, Stefan, Jacques, Chet, Ashok, Trey
Chet: Agenda. No discussion. No obj. agenda approved.
Chet: Minutes:
Chet: Minutes 11/17/17 meeting: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201712/msg00009.html
Chet: Minutes 12/1/17 meeting: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201712/msg00010.html
Chet: No discussion. No objs to approve. Minutes.
Chet: Action items:
Chet: AI Chet: add TAB Kavi group to Atlassian development project
Chet: Done.
Chet: Editor's manual.
Chet: Reviewing the documents

Trey Darley: +100 for Markdown

Trey Darley1: What about developing a Markdown version of the OASIS spec template with the necessary CSS for neat rendering?

Chet: Stefan: Open office hours for the TAB
Chet: @Trey - we are working w/ Duncan/Dave on markdown spec template for OpenC2 Lang Spec
Chet: S: 3 kinds of customer groups: ones who want to read the whole spec / those who have a question and will look for an answer in doc / oops how do I do that?
Chet: Ashok: your examples were how the TC takes action - perhaps that is a different section or document?
Chet: S: yes - e.g. on SARIF TC today we had a conversation about SHALL / MUST language for normative statements - that some people struggle with
Chet: S: so we need to be able to give help to editors on doc construction and to chairs where it is procedural

Trey Darley: That was an intriguing exchange wrt ISO and SHALL vs. MUST, @Stefan.

Chet: Q: should we continue w/ Google Docs? S: yes
Chet: When we have confidence in the content, let's go forward with it...
Chet: Chet: what do you think of the idea of going out for PR?
Chet: Ashok: yes - but add a paragraph that there will be more sections coming that will cover document drafting
Chet: S: maybe not so formal. Go back to the people Kevin contacted last year. Need to put it somewhere that it is easy to access.

Trey Darley: Wrt the question of public review, Im just a bit nervous regarding whether were prepared for the TABs input.

Ashok: ... or other areas

Chet: Chet: Share the Google Docs for commenting?
Chet: A part 5 to address procedural questions
Chet: Trey: looking to create a sweet spot between documentation in markdown (e.g.) plus machine readable content that can be read directly from the spec (e.g. tables w/ values)
Chet: S: yes - having a struggle with that now as we have to extract content from JSON to then put into the content

Trey Darley: Incidentally, XSLT is Turing-complete.

Chet: Patrick: on machine readable - that is a distinction we have to make clear where the authority lies for conformance purposes - e.g. if the doc and the schema have a conflict, the schema wins
Chet: AI: Chet - draft an announcement / request for feedback and send to TAB for review next week
Chet: S: every TC is an island.
Chet: Everyone has their own workaround - but since we don't have them on a platform where everyone can find them, the membership as a whole doesn't profit from it
Chet: TAB should be more of a live resource and develop a central point of knowledge
Chet: Progress on the Google sheet

Jacques D(Fujitsu): sorry disconnected

Chet: Chet to review the latest version of the spread sheet w/ respect to columns and fields of info...
Chet: Jacques: sharing his screen and showing the spread sheet
Chet: J: showing the HTML page
Chet: J: showing query results
Chet: Discussion about differences between the spread sheets

Trey Darley requests a private chat with you

Chet: J: so we need to figure out what is needed and how / if such a function can be integrated into other systems
Chet: J: there isn't anything really fancy going on here
Chet: J: ideally there should be a form that can be used to add data to the sheet in order to start using it as a maintenance tool
Chet: J: Kevin had some suggestions on that.

Patrick: Stefan - is the spreadsheet a complete copy of https://www.oasis-open.org/standards ?

Chet: Patrick: a really basic question - is this a complete copy of the URL
Chet: Next steps: review the spread sheet and its match to the attributes in the standards page
Chet: AOB?

20180118 (last edited 2018-01-22 20:57:15 by chet.ensign)