Minutes TAB call (February 23, 2018)

Action items

- AI - Chet & Patrick to prototype an ISO-ready standards track OASIS template

- AI - Chet to create another Google doc with this new section for ISO submissions

- AI - Chet to talk to Scott about options for deploying the Google Sheet of OASIS Standards Track work products on OASIS site

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of action items

5) Progress on the editor's manual

6) Progress on the Google sheet

7) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Jacques Durand
Patrick Durusau
Chet Ensign
Stefan Hagen

Regrets from Trey Darley

Meeting had quorum.

2) Approve agenda

Chet proposed 2 new additions: new 5) Discussion of ISO formatting - new 6) Discussions of feedback from JIRA notices email

Agreement to the changes. No objections to revised agenda. Agenda approved.

3) Approve minutes

February 9th 2018: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201802/msg00023.html

No discussion of minutes. No objections to approval. Minutes approved unanimously.

4) Status of action items

AI Everyone: review Stefan's last version of the spread sheet and provide feedback on the columns/fields versus the information available in the standards table
Complete and done.

AI Chet: find and send UBL governance CN to the TAB
Complete and done

5) New: Discussion of ISO formatting

On 2nd or subsequent submissions of approved OASIS Standards to ISO, OASIS is required to provide content meeting ISO formatting requirements. Patrick is currently working on several ebXML specs. He notes that very detailed and significant changes are needed for existing specifications. Changes to the key words in particular require close review by TC to confirm that the substantive content is equivalent.

After discussion, consensus is that we should draft a new chapter of the editor's handbook to address this. Consider doing it in 2 parts: one for TCs that have not yet written a spec and suspect that they will want to submit to ISO when the time comes; one for TCs that already have a standard approved and now need to reform it to meet ISO requirements.

Also agreement that having a modified OASIS template fine-tuned to meet ISO needs will help.

AI - Chet & Patrick to prototype an ISO-ready standards track OASIS template

AI - Chet to create another Google doc with this new section

6) New: Feedback from JIRA notices email

Chet summarized feedback from his question to chairs@ re whether volume of JIRA notifications is too much.

TAB agrees that the option for a terse notification scheme is good. Consensus is that alert messages to TC on creating a new issue and then leaving it up to members to watch those of interest would be fine.

Discussion about possibility of upgrading current JIRA installation to the current version.

7) Progress on the editor's manual

Tabled until next meeting.

8) Progress on the Google sheet

Stefan prepared to complete transformation of Standards HTML page into spread sheet based on the last feedback he received.

Jacques notes it would be good to have feedback / thoughts about possible deployment of the Google sheet on the OASIS site.

AI - Chet to talk with Scott about deployment options.

AI - Chet to send ideas for queries against the sheet to Jacques and Stefan to help fine-tune the model.

9) AOB

Jacques notifies us that he has a conflict at our regular meeting time on 09 March 2018 at 18:00 UTC / 10:00 US west coast / 1:00 PM US east coast / 7:00 PM Netherlands & Switzerland

Minutes submitted 26 February 2018 by Chet Ensign

Chat log

Stefan morphed into Stefan Hagen1
Chet: Draft agenda:
Chet: 1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of action items

5) Progress on the editor's manual

6) Progress on the Google sheet

7) AOB
Chet: Attending: Stefan, Patrick, Jacques, Chet
Chet: Jacques, you have the link to the WebEx?
Chet: Regrets from Trey. Regrets from Ashok.
Chet: We have quorum
Chet: Suggested additions to agenda: 1) Discussion of ISO formatting - 2) Discussions of feedback from JIRA notices email
Chet: Obj to approving agenda as revised. Agenda approved
Chet: 3) Approve minutes
Chet: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201802/msg00023.html
Chet: No discussion. No objs. Minutes approved.
Chet: 4) Action items
Chet: - AI Everyone: review Stefan's last version of the spread sheet and provide feedback on the columns/fields versus the information available in the standards table
Chet: Done and closed
Chet: 5) Disc of ISO formatting
Chet: Discussion of Patrick's feedback on the ISO formatting requirements
Chet: Very detailed and significant changes to document are required
Chet: Stefan: if we polish something into formal language using RFC 2119 or ISO's language, it is all good. Much like developers draft software. It is like a form of codification of the transformation rules. It is a refactoring. But it may be a more strict structuring - like a pull request, prepared for the people to review and approve. Go from the minor changes step by step up to the big ones.
Chet: S: this is the price of pushing a spec to a broader, world-wide audience
Chet: S: TC will have to really think about whether the new language was truly equivalent to the original
Chet: S: maybe our guidance can help focus them on the most critical changes they'll need to accomplish
Chet: P: ultimately the TC will have to approve the end product just like it does any other Committee Specification.
Chet: P: the changes will be substantial enough that the TC ought to approve it officially
Chet: P: because it will no longer be the same document
Chet: S: for the planning of the TC, this can help them choose to rewrite it in ISO early on, and collaborate with the vendor implementors early, before it goes to OASIS Standards.
Chet: S: we all agree that these are good guidelines and TC work products could be better for adopting them early
Chet: P: take the case of a new TC that thinks in advance that they want to go to ISO - if we had a template ready for that, then we could help them get started on that path from the beginning
Chet: P: might be an addendum to the TC Process - here are the additional components you'll need for ISO
Chet: P: OASIS Non-Normative References = ISO Bibliography
Chet: P: if those parts are approved ahead of time they need not be published in the OASIS CS/OS but is approved already to go to ISO
Chet: S: +1, +1, +1 - personally very interested as editor of one of the specs that will be targeted towards ISO. So the advice from here now would be very useful
Chet: C: question to Patrick - how difficult to reengineer the template to be ISO-ready?
Chet: P: probably not a huge amount of work...
Chet: P: the problem is that the template only asks some of the questions that you have to answer in following Part 2
Stefan Hagen: Note: SARIF TC is hot on the heels of being as close as possible to ISO submit capable and has very engaged and experienced editors, chairs, domain expertts and vendors at its disposal
Chet: C: AI - Chet & Patrick to prototype an ISO-ready standards track OASIS tempalte
Chet: C: should we add a new section to the editor's handbook?
Chet: S: yes, please - we are already there and need it - we will find out from real practice how to get it into the hands of the editor
Chet: C: AI - Chet to create another Google doc with this new section
Chet: P: guess the more common case will be someone who wants to transform an existing specification - rather than someone who wants to start out from the beginning
Chet: S: TCs starting from scratch is different from SARIF where they are already engaged and are ready to write it to fit the requirements of the org
Chet: S: 3 use cases: start from scratch, TC with existing work that has to be redone, TC with starting content who need help moving it into the whatever format
Chet: 6) JIRA feedback
Chet: C: summarize the feedback
Chet: S: the current JIRA is antiquated - you can't format the code, can't add attachments
Chet: S: Personally, I would only want to see a Create notice - I'll watch it if I care from that point on.
Chet: S: Maybe add a secondary email list to capture all otehr notices
Chet: C: Check to see if there is some way to send JIRA notices to 2 different TC email lists
Chet: C: update on upgrading JIRA for TCs
Chet: S: old stuff that gets broke won't bother anyone
Chet: S: we'll fix it if we ahve to
Chet: S: people don't want to use stuff older than what they use at work
Chet: P: would be good to know more than just what BL team told us. Once bit / twice shy.
Chet: P: would be leery of enabling a feature unless we've got the backups for protection
Chet: P: so we should roll up on a test server and QA it before rolling it out
Chet: 7) Google doc
Chet: Jacques - be good to have feedback on / thoughts about possible deployment on the OASIS site
Chet: C: AI - talk to Scott about that
Chet: C: one open question is whether to store CS01 or CS and 01 in a separate column
Chet: C: gather queries for use
Chet: J: the query / processing code is all in the webpage not on the server
Chet: J; doesn't work in China though
Chet: J: would help if the meeting can be 2 hrs earlier to avoid a travel conflict
Sent transcript to: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org

20180223 (last edited 2018-03-23 19:23:50 by chet.ensign)