Minutes TAB call (March 09, 2018)

Action items

- Chet to set new meeting schedule on TAB calendar

- Chet to resolve all comments and accept all edits in editors manual part 1 and 2

- Chet to request a GitHub for the TAB

- Chet to invite Scott to next meeting

Agenda

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of action items

5) Review / decide on future meeting days/times

6) Recap TAB update to Board

7) Progress on the editor's manual

8 ) Progress on the Google sheet

9) AOB

Minutes

1) Roll call

Trey Darley
Jacques Durand
Patrick Durusau
Chet Ensign
Stefan Hagen

Meeting had quorum.

2) Approve agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections to revised agenda. Agenda approved.

3) Approve minutes

Minutes of 23 Feb. 2018 - https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201802/msg00046.html

No discussion of minutes. No objections to approval. Minutes approved

4) Status of action items

- Chet & Patrick to prototype an ISO-ready standards track OASIS template
In Progress. Leave open.

- Chet to create another Google doc with this new section for ISO submissions
Completed

- Chet to talk to Scott about options for deploying the Google Sheet of OASIS Standards Track work products on OASIS site
In progress. Leave open.

5) Set meeting dates and times

Doodle poll showed Wednesdays at noon eastern only unanimous slot. Jacques and Patrick confirmed it will work for them.

Agreed next meeting Wednesday, March 21st at noon eastern / 16:00 UTC. Trey will provide his Zoom details for call.

6) Recap TAB update to Board

Chet recapped status presentation to board. Conveyed board's compliments on the work being done.

Stefan notes that the current SLAs based on TC Admin providing personal service to TCs will not scale. Let's focus on developing facilities that will help both staff and members be more productive.

TAB agrees that opening TC Admin JIRA tickets to comments from TCs is a good idea.

7) Progress on editor's manual

Consensus that Part 1 and Part 2 can be considered finished. Chet to resolve all comments and accept all edits.

Discussion about multi-part work. Jacques noted that there still needs to be more discussion about the differences between a single spec and a family of related specs under a common general name. Trey asked how that would apply to the case of a spec and a related resource like a registry. For example, CTI has the notion of 'threat actors,' a set of standard types that will change quickly. So the spec would specify how to describe a threat actor and point to a registry where specific threat actors would be described.

Discussed setting up a TAB GitHub as a place to collect and share best practices / war stories, e.g. what we learned converting XML to JSON.

AI to Chet to request a GitHub for the TAB.

8 ) Progress on Google Docs

Stefan's latest spread sheet includes the editors and abstract and examples of extracting those from docs. Spread sheet looks good to Jacques.

Discussion about some of the fields. Jacques says that he can work with what we have.

Chet explained what the spread sheet is doing to Scott. Chet to invite Scott so next meeting so that he can see a demo and we can talk about how it could be deployed in the new environment.

9) AOB

No other business raised.

Next meeting will be Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 16:00 UTC.

Minutes submitted 13 March 2018 by Chet Ensign

Chat log

Chet: TAB conference call

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes

4) Status of action items
- Chet & Patrick to prototype an ISO-ready standards track OASIS template
- Chet to create another Google doc with this new section for ISO submissions
- Chet to talk to Scott about options for deploying the Google Sheet of OASIS Standards Track work products on OASIS site

5) Review / decide on future meeting days/times

6) Recap TAB update to Board

7) Progress on the editor's manual

9) AOB
Trey Darley: Howdy
Chet: Roll call:
Chet: Stefan, Jacques, Trey, Patrick
Chet: 2. Ageada
Chet: No disc. No obj. Agenda approved.
Chet: 3. Minutes
Chet: 23 Feb. 2018 - https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab/201802/msg00046.html
Chet: No disc. No obj. Minutes approved
Chet: 4) Action items
Chet: - Chet & Patrick to prototype an ISO-ready standards track OASIS template
Chet: In Progress.
Chet: Leave open.
Chet: - Chet to create another Google doc with this new section for ISO submissions
Chet: Completed and done.
Chet: - Chet to talk to Scott about options for deploying the Google Sheet of OASIS Standards Track work products on OASIS site
Chet: In progress.
Chet: 5) Meeting dates and times
Chet: Proposed time is Wednesdays at noon eastern
Chet: Jacques and Patrick confirm that it works
Chet: Next meeting then March 21st at noon eastern.
Trey Darley: I can offer my Zoom, which we use for the CTI TC.
Chet: Stefan: let's change the acount
Chet: Zoom has been the best solution CTI has found.
Chet: Even works on Linux.
Chet: Chet to email Trey for the info
Trey Darley: I motion that we shift to UTC for equal-opportunity inconvenience.
Chet: Agreed.
Chet: 6) Board recap
Chet: Recap status report
Chet: Stefan: SLA is not scalable - let's focus on tools to improve productivie
Chet: Also ability to Watch a ticket is important
Chet: as well as open it to comment
Chet: AI - Chet to update TC Admin JIRA permissions and notifications
Chet: 7) Editor's handbook
Chet: Asking about hte multi-part section
Chet: Jacques: we still need to distinguish between a single spec and a family of specs - we need more clarification of that
Chet: J: such familiies are not necessarily independent. 2 specs could share a common part - or a spec A that is a profile of spec B so there's dependencies there.
Chet: J: still need some clarification
Chet: Trey: does the notion of a multi-part spec allow for say 4 or 5 parts in Word and then e.g. extension mechanisms for one of the parts - a la a registry
Chet: Discussion about the different parts
Chet: T: in manual, might be useful to go to different TC chairs and ask if there are cases where a TC started one way and pivoted into another
Chet: T: so have a story in the manual about the decision
Chet: Chet: COEL TC is an example
Chet: T: example - CTI has 'threat actors' - and they change fast so the spec won't contain all the threat actors - it will describe the structure of entries but have the registry be something
Chet: Check on oBIX as a possible example
Chet: Stefan: DSS-X - we had these issues - a core spec and profiles. OData - urls had to be changed - also starting up vocabularies so have to have registries
Chet: S: world can contibute and link to that
Chet: S: we could do stories in GitHub to capture the lessons learned -
Chet: S: success story chapter
Chet: C: recaps Rich's suggestion that TAB could capture the xml -> json transition lessons
Patrick: With the exception of encouraging migration from XML to JSON, it is otherwise a good idea.
Chet: S: hahahahaa
Trey Darley: success stories / war stories...
Stefan Hagen: S: Especially suggesting to start a new micro doc alongside the others, as I expect strong movement and restructuring there - we can always merge back in later
Stefan Hagen: S: +1 for considering part 1 and 2 as done and published
Trey Darley: I have not yet reviewed parts 1 & 2.
Stefan Hagen: I so ove
Stefan Hagen: s/ove/move/
Chet: No objs to declaring parts 1 and 2 done
Chet: Chet - share the links with Trey
Trey Darley: Yes!
Chet: Chet - set up a TAB GitHub Open Repo
Chet: 8 ) Google sheet
Chet: S: latest spread sheet includes the editors and abstract
Chet: J: has looked at it - looks good to me.
Chet: J: question is what queries
Chet: J: the stage name # (e.g. CSPRD02) is not there? S: ah yes, I forgot to add that column
Chet: S: also added version in a different field
Chet: AI - Stefan to send a version where the column is added although empty
Chet: J: so as to finalizing the schema - do we need the spec version column? S: we can filter it out
Chet: J: queries can work as well if we work on the version # in the spec title
Chet: J: typically there would be a UI with a drop down that showed all available specs - so don't see any value in having version as a separate column
Stefan Hagen: Clock-Alert ...
Trey Darley: I am going to have to drop at the top of the hour as well.
Chet: No problem. Wrapping up now
Chet: Chet to invite Scott.
Sent transcript to: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org

20180309 (last edited 2018-03-23 19:23:31 by chet.ensign)