Minutes TAB call (March 21, 2018)

Action items

- Chet to request a GitHub for the TAB

- Chet to invite Scott to next meeting

- Jacques to add a filter for spec editors to the Google sheet query page.

- Stefan to load additional records to the extract before the next meeting.

Agenda

1. Roll call

2. Approve agenda

3. Approve minutes

4. Status of public reviews

5. Status of action items

6. EU copyright law email notice from Dave Lemire

7. Progress on the editor's manual

8. Progress on the Google sheet

9. AOB

Minutes

1. Roll call

Trey Darley
Jacques Durand
Patrick Durusau
Chet Ensign
Stefan Hagen

Invited expert:

Ashok Malhotra

2. Approve agenda

No discussion of agenda. No objections. Agenda approved.

3. Approve minutes

09 March 2018: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201803/msg00020.html

No discussion of minutes. No objections. Minutes approved.

4. Status of public reviews

No first public reviews open at this time. Stefan notes that DSS-X will have first pass of version 2 coming out after Easter

5. Status of action items

- Chet to set new meeting schedule on TAB calendar
Done and closed

- Chet to resolve all comments and accept all edits in editors manual part 1 and 2
Done and complete. Ashok asked about still seeing typos and stuff. Was there anything of substance in the drafts we should discuss? No, we resolved all those issues.

- Chet to request a GitHub for the TAB
Still open

- Chet to invite Scott to next meeting
Still open

6. EU copyright law email notice from Dave Lemire

Issue raised by Dave Lemire, OpenC2 TC in https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab-askthetab/201803/msg00002.html Chet indicated that he has shared this with staff. Dr. Carol Cosgrove Sacks has asked a contact in Europe for more information.

Discussion of the blog post and possible implications for OASIS. Trey notes that this is just a proposal at this stage and much could change. He pointed us to https://juliareda.eu/2018/02/voss-upload-filters/ as one of the voices lobbying in opposition.

Consensus is that at present we don't think the TAB needs to do anything with this information.

7. Progress on the editor's manual

Agree that more work is needed for part 3. Chet to re-visit text and call for final comments so we can approve at next meeting.

8. Progress on the Google sheet

Jacques showed us the current Google sheet and query interface. He gave us the link to download the page so we can experiment locally. Chet asked if Jacques can add a filter for editors.

Stefan will load additional records to the extract before the next meeting.

Chet will invite Scott to the next meeting to demonstrate how this could work.

9. AOB

No other business raised.

Next meeting will be Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 16:00 UTC.

Minutes submitted 23 March 2018 by Chet Ensign

Chat log

Chet: Agenda:

1) Roll call

2) Approve agenda

3) Approve minutes
09 March 2018: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tab/email/archives/201803/msg00020.html

4) Status of public reviews
None open

5) Status of action items

- Chet to set new meeting schedule on TAB calendar

- Chet to resolve all comments and accept all edits in editors manual part 1 and 2

- Chet to request a GitHub for the TAB

- Chet to invite Scott to next meeting

6) EU copyright law email notice from Dave Lemire
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab-askthetab/201803/msg00002.html

7) Progress on the editor's manual

8 ) Progress on the Google sheet

9) AOB
Chet: Attending: Ashok, Stefan, Jacques, Trey
anonymous morphed into Patrick
Chet: Patrick, can you hear us?
Chet: Or do you have no audio at all?
Chet: 2 agenda
Chet: no disc. no obj. agenda approved
Chet: 3 minutes
Chet: no disc. no objs. minutes approved.
Chet: 4 public reviews
Chet: none open / none that I know of that are coming
Chet: Stefan - DSS-X will have first pass of version 2 coming out after Easter
Chet: 5 - action items
Chet: - Chet to set new meeting schedule on TAB calendar
Done and closed
Stefan Hagen: +1
Chet: - Chet to resolve all comments and accept all edits in editors manual part 1 and 2
Done and complete
Chet: Ashok; question - still typos and stuff. Was there anything of substance we should discuss. No.
Chet: - Chet to request a GitHub for the TAB
Still open
Chet: - Chet to invite Scott to next meeting
Chet: Still open
Chet: AI Chet - invite Scott to next mtg to see Google sheet
Chet: 6) EU copyright law email notice from Dave Lemire
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tab-askthetab/201803/msg00002.html
Chet: Trey - if i were going to plagarize code, it is trivial to avoid filters. as long as gh has made a best effort - that is, not expecting human eyes on everything - gh should be ok
Chet: Stefan - often the license claims are a problem. it will be time before we can trust tech check. If I cut & paste something, I'm the one who has made the claim and taken the risk
Chet: S: if I am downloading, I need to check the licenses.
Patrick: The blog post does not provide evidence that "automated filtering of code would make software less reliable and more expensive".
Chet: S: so watching to see if orgs like gh can come up with a soution. Otherwise no problem / i don't care
Chet: Patrick: how much checking should be required? how deep would they be required to go
Chet: P: not sure we should say anything about it. it is the contributor's resp not Oasis
Chet: Ashok: +1
Chet: Trey: from perspective of open projects, this sort of thing could wreak havoc - something is introduced early and then later withdrawn lots of code could have to be rewritten
Chet: A: do orgs have to act as policemen here?
Chet: Chet: Gerrit?
Patrick: Has this ever happened in Apache or any of the other large open source projects?
Trey Darley: @Chet: Are you referring to this => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrit_(software)
Chet: Stefan: who will solve it and how is far from clear - it could be a problem and it could be damaging to the oasis brand / reputation
Trey Darley: If so, that appears to be an antiquated equivalent of Gitlab.
Trey Darley: (Don't see how that helps the problem.)
Chet: Thx
Chet: S: the probability is low but impact could be highg
Chet: @trey, yes I think that is it
Chet: P: surely this has come up before in e.g. Apache
Chet: p; why not ask them
Patrick: written in such a way = poorly
Trey Darley: https://juliareda.eu/2018/02/voss-upload-filters/
Chet: S: +1 - risk of brand damage could be very high. look at the license claim. contrib agreemnt and license claims inside the code are the first 2 levels of defense - and then you must review those in evaluating the pull request
Chet: Jacques: original Eu concern was video / music, not software - doubt it will be applied to the s/w industry.
Chet: Trey: this is a proposal for the EU - there is a concerted effort to influence the commission - most logical course would be to have her reach out to get background
Chet: T: there is still the usual IPR contribution issue
Chet: T: is there some public comment mechanism?
Chet: T: don't see that we need to take any action until it takes affect
Stefan Hagen: EULA :-?
Stefan Hagen: End User License Agreement ...
Chet: Chet: question - is there anything we should do here?
Chet: T: if we get info that this is going to turn into real impact, then perhaps we could suggest commenting back to Scott or something
Chet: P: or, since it is an EU regulation, it would affect EU developers but not OASIS right?
Chet: T: not sure - it could be like GDPR - companies having to react to that whether European or not
Jacques D(Fujitsu)11: Seems like related to the issue W3C faced, with Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)and Digital Rights Management
Chet: @jacques - not familiar with those controversies
Chet: 7) Progress on the editor's manual
Trey Darley: I haven't had time to review Part 3.
Chet: Anyone spent time on part 3?
Patrick: Trey, thanks for the Julia Reda link! Great stuff!
Chet: J: we should make clear that people should not confuse a family of related specs with a multi-part spec
Chet: So point is to make clear that they should not confuse the two.
Chet: J: multi-part is doc with multiple narrative spec documents along with artifacts
Chet: J: provide guidance on when it is better to have one over the other
Chet: esp when several documents are sharing some part across all the documents. should be a bit more explicit abou that
Patrick: Stepping away for a moment.
Chet: Stefan: now oasis becoming more multi-language specs - e.g. xml and json
Patrick: back
Chet: so you have a high level spec of a protocol and then the specifics - wouldn't you want to offer a single document that presented the specific dialect
Stefan Hagen: yes - extracting into 3 documents generic, xml only, son only from master that has them GJX GJX interleaved
Trey Darley: Just dictate that all TCs develop their specs in YAML.
Trey Darley ducks...
Stefan Hagen: that is already ASN.1
Chet: mutli-views of the same thing are either covered here or no
Trey Darley runs screaming at the mention of ASN.1...
Stefan Hagen: @Trey: wrong decoder :-?
Chet: AI cChet - get part 3 wrapped up by next meeting
Chet: 8 ) Progress on the Google sheet
Chet: Jacques - can you import and set up by next time?
Chet: J: yes indeed
Trey Darley: Unfortunately I'm going to have to drop to hop on another call.
Jacques D(Fujitsu)11 uploaded file: OASIS-browser-new-sheetV3.htm
Patrick: Jacques, this is very cool!
Chet: AOB?
Bad/missing email address: 'chet'
Sent transcript to: chet.ensign@oasis-open.org

20180321 (last edited 2018-03-23 19:22:04 by chet.ensign)